Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chezron

Less hummingbirds?

chezron
14 years ago

I have noticed a significant difference in the hummingbird population this year. I hardly ever see one even though my feeders have been up since April 5th. We noticed some migrating through but that is it. What have you experienced?

Comments (10)

• doodlesmum2006
    14 years ago

We haven't seen any either. The feeders have been out since early May

• frankielynnsie
    14 years ago

I have not had as many this year either. I am not sure why since we have had less drought and more flowers.

• dkturngren
    14 years ago

I'm in Nahunta (8b/SE GA) and there is a definite decline in hummer activity here. I usually have about 35-50 hummers buzzing the feeders scattered around our property by mid-June. I had about 5 at the beginning of season (May) then they tapered off. We had unusual weather/rain/flooding here in May. I only have about 3 hummers now - very unusual. I'm hoping they return - I miss the background sqeaking noises and watching the comedy shows at the feeders!

• jerryngeorgia31557
    14 years ago

In Patterson I have only had 1 this year whereas I usually have 30-40. I have 4 feeders up and usually there is a constant fight to get to them. Not how. They are such amazing birds to watch.

• neonrider
    13 years ago

Wow. Perhaps because of climate change the hummingbirds now settle down somewhere in South or North Carolina or in Tennessee? Try asking on forums about increased populations of hummmingbirds in those states.

• ally99
    13 years ago

Here in Athens, they were MUCH later arriving this year than usual. We got our usual influx of them in mid-late July rather than May. They are here now though! :-)

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    13 years ago

I have my one faithful who has been coming back for years. He chases away the other ones! And I have LOTS of flowers- I wish he would share.

• vicki7
    13 years ago

We have lots of them now. I can look out at just about any time of day and see at least one on my perennial salvias.

• chezron
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I think I might have been a little hasty. Around the middle of July we had a population boom! I guess all the babies had grown up and left the nest. We seem to have more than last year now. I have a mix of plants for hummingbirds and feeders. I am glad to see so many!

• riceke
    13 years ago

Well I guess they all left your place and migrated to mine. I have seen more this year than ever. I swear it's like a humming bird convention out back. I just have one feeder but they were coming before I put it up.

Sponsored