Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sugarhill_gw

Spiky Shade Plant

sugarhill
17 years ago

Can anyone recommend a spiky shade plant (other than cast-iron plant) to put in front of a shrub and behind a hosta (hosta June)? I can't think of any, and I need a spiky shape in that spot. The rest of the bed has a Lady in Red fern, a painted fern, and some columbine so far. I also need something that takes shade to tumble over the front of the bed and flop over the edges. The more color to the foliage, the better. Need things that will show up against the shrub from a distance. I picked hosta June because I figure the gold centers in the leaves will show up from a distance. I'm rethinking the painted fern because its silver might not go well with June's gold.

Comments (5)

• sugarhill
    Original Author
    17 years ago

How about Jack-in-the-pulpit? Will that do well in shady, acid soil?

• Twinkle
    17 years ago

How much shade do you have?

I have tall siberian iris that bloom in part shade, getting no more than an hour of late-afternoon sun each day. I also have daylilies blooming in the shade, with about 3 hours of indirect sun.

I have cannas growing well and even blooming in full shade. Not spiky, but could work with a tall shrub, might overwhelm a short one.

Astilbe likes shade, and has spiky blooms. Ferny-looking foliage makes a nice contrast to hostas.

Golden creeping jenny would work for the front edge of the bed, and would pick up the yellow in the hosta.

• Iris GW
    17 years ago

I would recommend Black Cohosh, the habit itself is not spiky but the bloom is. Not sure how big a plant you want.

Jack in the Pulpit is good, but it does go dormant by about mid summer, especially if it gets dry.

A spiky fern is ebony spleenwort. Tall and thin and very upright.

{{gwi:822070}}

A good shady groundcover is Partridge Berry:

{{gwi:823627}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Cimicifuga racemosa

• sugarhill
    Original Author
    17 years ago

LOL, twinkle. I've been doing my best for the last month trying to give away Siberian iris. Some other iris might work. There might be enough sun for a Mrs. Brumby's iris. It has purple stalks, which might look nice with the red stalks (or whatever they're called) on the fern. I think the site is probably too shady even for Mrs. Brumby's. Will have to think about it.

• razorback33
    17 years ago

You might consider the Sacred Lily, Rohdea japonica. Has tall, wide, strap-like foliage, similar to Cast Iron plant. Flowers are insignificant, but produces clusters of large red berries on the flower stalk, down inside the leaves. It is also available in several variegated forms.
    Another plant I grow with rather tall spiky leaves is an Orchid, Calanthe sieboldii. Produces show stopping racemes of bright yellow flowers in the spring and multiplies fairly rapidly.
    Both of these are evergreen, but another member of the Orchid Family that is hardy, but deciduous, is Bletilla striata that is available with purple/magenta, white or sometimes pink flowers. A white-edged, variegated leaf form is also available, with purple/magenta flowers. It's peer, with yellow flowers, is Bletilla ochracea, equally hardy and both multiply readilly.
    All are tolerant of bright shady locations, but can be grown in a sunny exposure.
    Rb

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz