Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gail_gw

McCorkle Nursery Sale

Gail
18 years ago

Just learned that McCorkles nurseries will be having their big, semi-annual sale June 16, 17, and 18 at their Dearing Georgia location.

For those unfamiliar with McCorkles, it's a LARGE wholesale nursery that has a huge sale twice a year with trees, shrubs, azaleas, rhododendrons, daylilies, hydrangeas, hostas, etc. available to the public. They hold the sale in one of their large fields and bring plants in on beds pulled by tractors. Went last year and filled up the back of my pickup truck for under $70; even going on Saturday (the last day), the nursery was bringing plants out at the end of sale (around 4 pm). Lots of landscape folks out there poking around! Folks often come back several days in a row to see what new things have been brought out.

The address (for an internet search on directions) is McCorkle Nurseries, 4904 Luckey's Bridge Road SE, Dearing Georgia 30808. Toll free phone number is 800-533-3050.

If you go, bring a wagon (for loading up your plants), water and a hat; the sale is held in a open field and you can sometimes tell whose been there the longest by their sunburn.

Gail

Comments (9)

• Leslie32
    18 years ago

I live about 5 minutes from McCorkle's and it is definatley worth the trip. I didn't go last year but my neighbor got some really nice camellias for 8.00 and 2 beautiful crepe myrtles for 8.00 also. If you go this year and give them your address they will send you a card reminding you of the sale the next year.

• Gail
    Original Author
    18 years ago

The first year we went we had difficulty finding it. We don't live too far from Dearing (we're in Augusta) but my friend gave me directions from her house in Thomson and we went traveling all over the countryside following her "little country road" directions (which included right turns instead of left turns).

I was about to give up and turn around when I saw a pickup truck loaded with daylilies coming our way. Then another with a load of azaleas. Then one filled with crepe myrtles. We guessed (correctly) we were on the right road.

Gail

• kdenise
    18 years ago

Are most of their plants on sale? or just mostly what you mentioned? Looking at their website they have such a great variety, including some roses, sages, clematis, platycodons, grasses... if these are included I know where I am heading next weekend!

• Gail
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Last year (the first year I went) they had roses, grasses and dlematis. I bought some nice clematis for $1.69.

The prices on the plants are based on pot size. Last year all one-gallon pots (whatever they contained) were $1.69. I purchased some nice azaleas in 5 gallon pots (very large) for $5 each.

Gail

• rosie
    18 years ago

The two years I've gone (thanks again SO MUCH to gardener who posted it on this forum back then!) the vast majority of their plants have been landscaping shrubs, lots of varieties--the kind you can build a fantastic garden structure with--plus maybe a couple trees counting Leylands and crepe myrtles, but also some perennials, grasses, ferns, et cetera, although I'd have to be planting a VERY long border before I'd drive halfway across the state for those. Last year I picked up 7 weeping Japanese privet, came home and couldn't find mention of them anywhere on the net, so called McCorkle's and they'd never heard of them either (okay!), and it took months before info on the web finally caught up to what they were offering (McCorkle's is also strongly affiliated with the Center for Applied Nursery Research). All day long trailers of new plants are arriving at the sale field, so that people are always running over to see what else is coming (or if what they came for has finally arrived). It's great, quality is excellent, and the prices are too. It's also very hot, so bring a hat. And a big wagon.

• rosie
    18 years ago

Oh, yeah, Gail already said that last! Too true, but they do sell drinks under a canopy.

• Gail
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Update...went early this morning. The field looked like a parking lot for pickup trucks. Tons of azaleas and other shrubs, magnolia trees, roses, day lilies, monkey grass, gardenias, hostas, hydrangeas, ferns, weeping cherry, holly's, etc. etc.. Had to chuckle when a woman next to me pulled out her cell phone and called her husband and said "honey, get over here with the trailer; we've got too many plants to fit in the pickup!"

Came home with a bed full of three gallon azaleas, hydrangeas and hosta for under $100.

Gail

• barb4143
    13 years ago

Unfortunately I won't be in the area in June. Does anyone know when they have their fall sale or does it vary from year to year

• archies_mom
    13 years ago

Here's a link to the McCorkle Plant Sale flyer, with map...

Here is a link that might be useful: McCorkle plant sale

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?