Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kathy_bochonko

Do I want trumpet creeper or crossvine?

Kathy Bochonko
18 years ago

I am thinking about planting a vine up the trunk of a very bare trunk of a tall maple at the edge of my wooded area in my backyard. It is in a very focal spot and is just so bare for about 20 feet of the trunk. I am just wondering what opinions anyone has about trumpet vine verses crossvine. I know some varieties of trumpet vine get out of bounds a bit, but how bad? Also any chance anyone will have any of either for the fall trade? Or if anyone has seen one on sale anywhere yet let me know. I saw quite a few at Pike's but I keep telling myslef I am not buying more plants till fall (but so far I don't listen too well.)

Comments (18)

• Iris GW
    18 years ago

Definitely cross vine is MUCH better behaved. I am trying to eradicate some native trumpet creeper in my woods and it is determined to stay. Keeps popping up here, there and yonder.

• PeaBee4
    18 years ago

Trumpet vine is one of those things that seem to have seeds that sprout EVERYWHERE. I pull out thousands every season from the neighbor's vine.

• Kathy Bochonko
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Yes, I have heard the typical native trumpet vine is horrible, I should have clarified. The newer varieties such as "morning calm" claim to be not as aggressive as the common trumpet creeper, but I don't know anyone who has actually grown one to know to what degree they are "less aggressive" I mean they may not grow as fast, but if they still reseed everywhere that could be a problem.

• cashenry
    18 years ago

I have a Campsis 'Madame Galen' that is not out of control. I have moved it several times in the past 6 years, by necessity. They are slow to get going, I understand. I am trying to get it to spread more. I suppose I'll have a better idea in another couple of years. I am tempted to plant the species but I know I will regret it if I do.
    I just planted Bignonia 'Tangerine Beauty' this spring. I have high hopes for it.

• Honey_Gum_Sugar_Bush
    18 years ago

I'm not going to tell you what to do but even though a bare trunk might look blah, there's some reasons why you might want to think twice about using vines on trees. Even native ones.

Trees Atlanta article

The wooded area behind your house is already pretty stressed if the adjacent homesites new.

• rjm710
    18 years ago

I would think the Crossvine would be fine. The Campsis would probably work, as long as you think you could handle it 'running' in the area around the tree. The article linked above makes some good points, but the vines it refers to are exotics (English Ivy, and Asian Wisterias). I've seen many trees 'infested' with English Ivy or Wisteria, but don't recall seeing an overgrowth of Bignonia or even Campsis on an individual tree.

• jeff_al
    18 years ago

althought i don't grow 'morning calm' or 'madame galan', i find it interesting that these two, which are (respectively) cultivars of chinese trumpet creeper and a hybrid of the two species, are reported to be better behaved than our native vine.
    how's that for a twist on a asian species!
    it might be worth it to try them either of them. i just don't have enough time on my hands to deal with the rampant nature of c. radicans.

Here is a link that might be useful: flowering vines

• laurelwoodfarms
    18 years ago

I love my crossvine. It's very heat & drought resistant, doesn't seem to mind all this rain either. Mine has been pretty much an evergreen for the last 3 years, absolutely covered in blooms late April-May, and then blooms intermittantly until frost.

Trying to post a picture of mine in full bloom:

Here is a link that might be useful:

• beckygardener
    17 years ago

I recently picked up a trumpet creeper vine and planted it about 2 weeks ago. Then I read many of the posts here in the Gardener Forum and now I am concerned! I mainly planted it to get hummers. I read somewhere that it was suggested to put it against a pole away from other garden plants and let it drape at the top like an umbrella. Which probably allows it to be kept pruned and under relative control. (I hope.) I want to try this before I destroy this plant because I know what they look like blooming. They are stunning! And if they attract hummers, then I would be delighted!

What I would like to know is what kind of pole? Steel? PVC? How tall? And do I set the pole in concrete or just bury it a couple feet? I know that you have to keep an eye on it to keep it from spreading out of the area you want it in. I figured if it is draping at my height, then I can also remove seed pods before they open to prevent spreading as well. Anyone have any info, ideas, or experience doing this? Also, anyone have any idea how to speed up the blooming process? I don't want to have to wait 5-7 years. Would flowering fertilizer work?

I'd sure appreciate some help! Thanks so much!

• bobbygil
    17 years ago

I have a couple of Tangerine beauty cross vines that have seedlings coming up around them. I'm not all that far from you in Suwanee if you want them.

• mairenn
    17 years ago

there are telephone poles at Vines Botanical that are absolutely covered with trumpet creeper. they're in the parking lot, and none of them are anywhere near other trees, so it's definitely controllable.

i wouldn't think metal or concrete poles would work. They need something to grab.

• garden4510
    17 years ago

Trumpet Creeper and Cross Vine are both native to Georgia, but, although related to each-other, very different in character.
    I love Cross Vine. It is well-behaved, delicate-looking and evergreen. I don't like nappy-looking vines that have run amok, so, as soon as mine finishes blooming, I cut it back down to the ground. By fall it is back up to the second-storey windows of my house, and ready to bloom again in late spring. This cutting back also partly alleviates the slight problem of its oldest leaves falling off in the fall.
    Once I cut it back, it peels right off the brick wall, leaving no "feet" like Ivies and Creeping Fig, etc do. So it does not hurt masonry.
    On the other hand, I would not have any Trumpet Vine, even though they do attract hummers. They are always rampant-looking to me, and totally bare and unsightly all winter. You could never call one delicate. I think they make Wisteria look well-behaved. I enjoy their flashes of color in one place only: along the highway fences, at 65 mph. Be sure that you like one alot before you try one, because I would bet they are a nightmare to rid yourself of them. Oh, and one other thing. Make sure the arbor or archway you use to support a Trumpet Creeper is stouter than you think you need today, because like Wisteria, it will end up knocking down any and all whimpy support structures.

• beckygardener
    17 years ago

I have a variety of vines on different sections of my backyard fence. I have cross vine, coral honeysuckle, regular honeysuckle, passion vine, maypop vine, and mexican flame vine. And then I have the trumpet creeper contained in the middle of my backyard. I've got these vines anywhere from 8-12 feet apart from each other. I may have planted them too close to each other. I am doing a red/orange, purple, red/orange, purple, repeat color pattern around the fence. That is the colore scheme in my yard with a mixture of other colors as well. But I happen to like the red and purple colors.

Anyone know how much space these vines need? I don't mind them running into each other. Also, should I cut them back possibly to the ground every year to encourage new growth? I don't want them to start looking scraggly.

• Denise Duffy
    15 years ago

I am going to purchase a crossvine as they come highly recommended! For those of you that have them, what variety would you HIGHLY recommend?
    Thanks,
    Denise

• Iris GW
    15 years ago

'Tangerine Beauty' is quite nice and usually the most available one. 'Dragon Lady' is red, but I've not seen it for sale locally.

• cyrus_gardner
    15 years ago

Crossvine looked beautifull. When do they bloom? How fast they grow?

How about PASSION FLOWER VINE? They are one of my favorites.
    Their flowers are amazingly beautiful, fragrant and edible.
    The flowers (when polinated ,by bumble bees!!!) grow fruits that ripen late summer, which also are edible. The leave and young shoots are also edible and medicinal.
    Passion flower vines are annual vine. That is their branches all die out in the winter but their roots are perenial and come back in mid spring. Becaus of their tenderills, the are excellent climbers and can grow more than 10 feet long and keep blooming till first cold snap in the fall.

You can propagate them either from roots or seeds. Maybe from cuttings too, but I have not tried it yet.
    Google it and see for yourself.

• atara74
    15 years ago

I have both. I have a yellow trumpet vine on my fence in full sun. It is gorgeous during the summer and hummers love it. It is not an evergreen and It grows very fast. I do not have any problems with it being invasive, but I prune it WAY back every year leaving only the parts that will support the new growth and have it grow the way I want it to.
    I have two "Tangerine Beauty" Cross vines. They have grown over a pergola that is over a patio. One of the vines gets full sun, and the other gets a little less. The one that gets full sun definitely blooms more than the other. I do have to prune these several times over the summer because they are close to the house and will try to grow up the house. Very fast grower and evergreen. Attracts hummers also.
    Like I said, I have both and if you want some let me know. I am in Woodstock.