Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
natdiamond

Growing on a slope in North Georgia

Natdiamond
13 years ago

I live in very N. Georgia. Basically Chattanooga, Tn. I have a steep slope in my backyard. I cant afford to build a raised garden because it would just cost too much to fill and build a retaining wall to make it flat.

I would like to grow things I can eat. What stuff can I grow? I have tall trees around the perimeter of my yard, so I don't get FULL sun, but almost. I heard watermelons grow on slopes? Any help would be appreciated!

Comments (9)

• Natdiamond
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you for your quick reply! However, I got the herb thing covered in my potted garden. I'm looking for vegetables and fruits to go in ground. And YES, rocky soil is exactly what I have. I need a pick just to plant a small plant!

• girlgroupgirl
    13 years ago

Fruit! I recently read that a few folks who grow fruits like apples and pears choose blight resistant varieties and grow them best on slopes. I have some slope areas in my yard, and fruit trees are slated for the planting!

• tifbee
    13 years ago

Strawberries love a good slope, and if the plant sends out runners you can get at least an additional 2 or 3 plants. I planted 3 strawberry plants this year; 2 are fruiting, and 1 has sent out 3 runners with at least 2 plant growing from each runner.
    I would think that watermelon, cucumbers, squash, and pumpkin would do well on a mild slope. As long as the slope isn't too steep and the weight of the fruit don't pull the plant out of the soil.

• Yolanda
    9 years ago

Avoid annuals, because that means bare soil that is gonna be washed away on a slope. Fruit trees and bushes with herbs and maybe short nitrogen fixers that have pretty flowers may be best.

• Chris_in_GA
    9 years ago

blueberries and thornless blackberries like triple crown do fine in part shade, basically require no maintenance and grow well in north GA. You will need to build wire trellis for blackberries but its not hard and worth the effort. As far a low, maintenance, no spray fruit trees, your choices include persimmons and paw paws.

• motherofdog
    9 years ago

My creeping raspberry grows like crazy on a steep hill in Ellijay

• Adriana Gutierrez
    8 years ago

Where did you get the creeping raspberry plant? I'm in Jasper.

• Tim Givemeenergy
    8 years ago

first question is which way the slope is facing! If it is orientated on an axis between east/west it is perfect, north is bad and south is doable! Your real worry on a hillside is erosion? You can do it practically free if you are willing /able to do the labor.. I built raised beds with broken up chunks of concrete from a sidewalk that was being replaced and 80 lbs bags of quikcrete mortar, also seen used rail ties, river rocks done free. You can begin with one terrace at the bottom and add one each year

Sponsored
Through The Garden, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
#1 Landscape Design Build Firm Serving Virginia/Maryland & DC Area