Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chezron

Clerodendron bungei

chezron
18 years ago

I know this plant can be invasive. Does anyone have personal history they want to share? Is it possible to contain it-- it looks so pretty! Advice plz.

Comments (10)

• Kathy Bochonko
    18 years ago

I have one sitting in a pot until I get enough of the weeds killed in the weed patch I decided to plant it in. I am too scared to plant it anywhere else now after I have heard how invasive it is.

Here is a link that might be useful: previous thread

• chezron
    Original Author
    18 years ago

What if I sunk it in a largish pot with the lip above ground? What do you think?

• GAAlan
    18 years ago

I planted a one gallon in 2000. I wish I never had. I made up my mind last year to try and get rid of it, which may take a long time if it ever happens. I had two flowers last summer for the first time which was nice, but not nice enough to put up with such an aggressive spreader. I pulled up one piece and put it back into a pot in order to still have this plant. If I can ever get rid of it, I'll never plant another.

I have a story with a bit of a positive twist about this plant. I was going to Emory Hospital last fall during the time of all the hurricane damage. There was a tree down on Lullwater, so I had to take one of the little side streets I'd never used before. I came to the first place to turn and the yard on the corner had a huge "hedge" of bungei lining both sides of the property along the streets. It was in full bloom which was stunning. I've never seen anything like that. It was very nice, but I know for sure that piece of property will always have some of that plant no matter what the owners do!

• bmmalone
    18 years ago

I have been trying to find a picture of this plant but have had no luck. Does anyone have a photo or know of a website with photos as I really want to see what this looks like.

• Kathy Bochonko
    18 years ago

try searching for "clerodendrum bungei" I think that is the correct spelling.

• chezron
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks for the correct spelling. I am used to people asking about rhododendrummmsss--- so I assumed. My bad.

• Kathy Bochonko
    18 years ago

Don't feel bad, if you see the title of the thread I linked above. I did even worse when I tried to spell it. But I was also going on someone else's pronunciation. (Maybe my sister wasn't so silly for taking Latin in high school afterall.)

• elakin
    17 years ago

Here's a photo of mine taken today in Baton Rouge, LA.
    Regards,
    Ed

http://www.pbase.com/adguru/image/61507377.jpg

• PRO
    Nell Jean
    17 years ago

It's a butterfly magnet. It's very exotic looking with those dark leaves and pink blooms.

It's also the worst thug I have, except for crocosmia species. I let 'em duke it out for space and the mower gets the rest. I would not wish it on anybody. It wilts badly, it loses all leaves at the first hint of frost, but it never dies. The foliage when crushed smells of skunk. The flowers smell like Cashmere Bouquet soap and you can smell them from a distance, on the breeze.

There's a house in town that has them growing up through a hedge. Some of the blooms are as big as a soup bowl. The gardener there just whacks them back with the rest of the hedge. I'm sure that's about all they can do in the way of control.

Nell

• susan_cowleygroup_com
    15 years ago

Well, call me crazy, but I LOVE this plant! My sister-in-law planted a small rooted piece from a friend and had no idea what it was. Then I took home a small pot pulled from her plant. Tell ya what....if you plant this in a spot that has boundaries (mine is within a bed with bricks all around), all you have to do is yank up the part you don't want hanging around, and it yanks easily. This year was its second year in my garden and, SHOCKING, there were these magnificent multi-colored flowers. Since I didn't know what it was, I asked Plant Delights Nursery and their garden Curator emailed me the name. I found this string just googling it. So, count me as one bungei fan!

Sponsored
Premier Home Services, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Loudoun County Complete Turn-Key Contracting Solutions