Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ellix

catching snakes/ repelling them

ellix
17 years ago

Please tell me of ways to catch snakes to remove from my yard. I have a water garden, lots of rocks around the back of my yard and I feed birds and such. I just cannot go outside any more without seeing a snake. This is simply to much! I would be very interested in ways to keep them away from my house? Surely something works. Heard 'snake away' does not work. Have heard goats in the yard does--what about goat manure? What about sulfur at 90%? Will it work after a rain and what is it not good for--frogs, toads, birds, etc? Anything? Please help.

Comments (44)

• Iris GW
    17 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Sounds like you've got some of the habitat they like. Best way to deter snakes is to not have the habitat they like.

But how about a cat or a dog?

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    17 years ago

I honestly don't know about the sulfur as a snake repellent, but I can assure you that it would not be healthful for your plants, soil, and other animals, if used in large amounts. There is no proven data, that I know of, that supports the efficacy of sulfur as a snake repellent, when used alone. I also read that Snake-Away does not work, according to tests. It is sulfur and moth ball crystals. Yikes! There are several other repellents out on the market, most of them with a sulfur component as well as various aromatic oils, etc. You should investigate and try. Seems like the smell aspect is important.

I appreciate your phobia, but you must realize (as previously mentioned) that you've created a snake habitat. Are you willing to modify your yard so that it is less appealing to snakes?

By the way, what kind of snakes? Just curious.

• ellix
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Yes, I created it. There is a 2 &
    1/2 pond out back- 100 yards from the house and I did develop a water garden up next to the porch and yes I was responsible for the rock habibit and I know! But I did not see any snakes at all last year. I had a 3& 1/2 foot red bellied water snake and one of her babies in my skimmer, a 3 ft black (?) snake around the water falls--until I dumped a lot of sulpher around it. But don't want to do that again as I love my plants and other wildlife. Then someone saw a 6 foot black snake in the front yard. Can they be traped? I don't care to hurt them I just want them to live far away.

• sugarhill
    17 years ago

Call the Georgia wildlife 800 number. That's what they're there for.

• mid12nt
    17 years ago

Sounds like the snakes you've been seeing are all non-poisonous, so that is good. No matter what, you shouldn't kill them, they're scary, but they are good guys especially when it comes to rodent control. I think your county Extension Office might be able to give you some advice on your problem.

I have seen snakes caught up in fine netting next to a friend's pond, but I'd would advise against it as it also would catch songbirds and they could hurt themselves in the netting.

• vicki7
    17 years ago

Please DON'T get goats. We used to live on a goat farm and they will devour every plant you have. I, too, hope someone will tell us how to deter snakes because I have a small pond and lots of big rocks. No matter how "good" they are, I don't even want to SEE them!!

• ellix
    Original Author
    17 years ago

What about goat droppings?? I wouldn't mind the odor if it works. I have been reading about snake traps. They have glue inside them. Seems expensive for a bit of glue. Wonder what type of glue it is? On one site it says you can use the rat sticky traps-same glue I guess. Anyone have any experience with them? I just saw another baby snake in my little pond. I want to catch them all. I really can't afford to have someone come out and do it for me as there are just to many.

• chezron
    17 years ago

Send em to my house. You lucky girl!

• ellix
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Better yet - COME AND GET THEM - they will be here, just saw a large cottonmouth in the big pond. ALL yours.

• jayhawks
    17 years ago

We have rattlers in the back yard. Two ideas: Snakeaway granules has worked for me for 3 years if put out regularly during the season. You sprinkle lightly at first to give them escape routes, as some are good snakes. The product smells bad for a day or two. I DO think the ingredients are toxic and hate having it around. Going to try Liquid Fence Snake Repellant (harmless) soon - email me at jayhawks@san.rr.com in a few months and I'll tell you if it works. I also bought a CO2 fire extinguisher. Apparently it shoots a long way and is COLD, so it slows them way down so you can kill them "at your leisure" (i.e. safely). Do you have a rodent population that attracts them? If so, get an exterminator who can reduce their population safely. Susan

• stevholz
    17 years ago

It's sad that folks still in 2006 what to kill every snake they see. Snakes are EXTREMELY beneficial to the natural environment and will AVOID you (even the VENOMOUS ones). Now if I had a VENOMOUS snake in my yard (with my dogs and 7 year old) sure I would trap it and move it to the woods several miles away, but water snakes? rat snakes? all of them are welcome in my yard.

BTW, most cottonmouths turn out to be banded water snakes. I'm not saying yours was, but most do turn out to be harmless, and not aggressive at all.

P.S. it is illegal in Georgia to kill an non-venomous snake.

• starose
    17 years ago

Ellix
    I've lived in several different climates and have had snake problems in the past. I'm afraid I agree with everyone, that you're making a very nice home for the snakes.
    I found myself in the same perdicament up North. I loved rock gardens and built several in my yard. Unfortunately the snakes also loved my rock gardens and would often startle me when I was working in the yard. Once I overcame my fear I was then able to destroy them with the swing of a long handled shovel.
    Living in Florida I was lucky enough to just pick up the phone and call animal control and they would stop by and put them in bags and remove them. Sweet!
    We had problems with them in the spring and fall when they mated. Animal control told me to use moth balls and ammonia to get rid of snakes. The snakes would go under our workshop and have their babies. We were told to throw mothballs under the workshop and spray ammonia. It worked. One drawback is that you must be careful of children and pets so that they don't get into any of it.
    Now that I'm in a new GA community I've only seen a few black snakes cross my yard. I'm not going to give them a new cozy habitat here. My gardening is very simple and sparce now. Maybe they'll get the message here. No snakes allowed!
    Good luck!
    starose

• smitty_2006
    17 years ago

I've used Snake-Away for several years with pretty good success in my flower beds and around the garage door to keep them from coming in. I've also used mothballs -- which I was putting in chipmonk holes to keep them away and also seemed to help with snakes. Have also used ammonia and water mixture on my hostas to repel slugs. Haven't had any snakes in the hostas -- I figured maybe it was because they like to eat slugs and those guys were gone. Has anyone had any experience/success with Liquid Fence? It would be nice not to have to use the nasty napthalene stuff.

• sherylnsteve
    16 years ago

Any more info on the Solar Powered Sentinel Snake repeller?? I am interested in deterring water snakes from the lakefront of my mothers home as we are all hoping to enjoy the water this summer without having a heartattack!!!
    I wanted to make sure this product actually worked before buying one or two.
    Thanks in advance for any help,
    Sheryl

• aqrose
    16 years ago

What a neat invention! I wonder how well it works? If it works well, I would completely surround my house with these even though 20 cost $2000! :)
    I'm pretty sure that the law about killing a non-venomous is rather unenforceable... kind of like the Georgia "it's illegal to have kudzu on your property" law! LOL!
    That said, I've just chased off the grass & rat snakes I found on my porch this year because I was told they keep away the copperheads, etc. I'm currently working on depriving them of an environment they like by cutting down the box hedges and monkey grass that surrounds my porch.

• smitty_2006
    16 years ago

I bought 2 of the solar powered repellers last fall. Put them out this spring - one in the front of my condo in a small flower garden near my garage door and another at the back by the patio. Got through the spring with no snakes. The repeller in the back got flooded a few weeks back when we had very heavy rains, and it's not working at all even though I've dried it out. I'm going to e-mail the seller and ask if it can be repaired.

I was feeling very confident about how well they worked until my neighor 2 doors down had a snake in his garage -- and I think that's within the distance range the repellers are supposed to cover. Although, maybe the ones I had last year just moved to the neighbor's area. OK with me. One caution - I found the repeller does need to be in the sun most of the day to keep a strong signal.

• jellobiafra
    16 years ago

I can't believe people are talking about killing snakes. I have a phobia about snakes, and I want to keep them away from one particular little pond that is in bad need of maintenance, but I couldn't condone killing them.

For the record, I've tried Snake-Away, and it did nothing. I actually watched a garter snake wiggle right through a fresh application of the stuff.

Again, to be clear, I don't want to kill these snakes. I merely want to direct them to other areas of my property. I also have problems with cats disrupting the rockwork in my stream, and I was considering surrounding the pond area with those plastic mats that have the very sharp points. Maybe they'll work against the snakes as well. Any thoughts on this? This particular pond is in a very tight area and is difficult enough to access without having to tiptoe around snakes that don't seem too worried about getting out of my way.

• smitty_2006
    16 years ago

I just discovered the the solar repellers are being sold on eBay for MUCH less money than I paid direct through the stopsnakes.com website. Looks identical, but is being marketed as a "solar moler" mole repeller. Further search indicates the same thing available at target.com for about US$20. Wish I'd researched this sooner! For the record, they do seem to discourage snakes -- maybe moles, too!

• girlgroupgirl
    16 years ago

Georgia Wildlife will not remove wildlife if it is living it it's habitat - which would be a water garden. We had two deer here in the spring, they had had their habitat destroyed. Nobody would do anything. I felt awful for the poor things.

GGG

• carol_hartzell_ngc_com
    16 years ago

Just ordered 5 of the SunForce Solar Pest Repellers from Target.com. And yes, they're $100 cheaper per unit than the Sentinel. Shipping though is $25?? But these had better work...been fighting these monsters for 5 years now...Animal Control says if I'm killing two to three per week, my nests hold about 500-600 snakes. Hope they're guaranteed! Will let you know of successes or otherwise.

• bmmalone
    16 years ago

what kind of snakes are they?!?!?

• paz_06_msn_com
    16 years ago

I live in the southwest USA and have some bad snakes (those with rattles on their tails) in my yard and I wonder if those solar pest repellers would work on them, any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

• carolh_2008_2008
    15 years ago

Sunforce, thats the name of the $20 repellers I bought from Target.com. At first I thought they had no effect because I continued to see snakes, small ones, but...snakes. Then I noticed I didn't see any more chipmunks or field mice in the area either. It's been four weeks since I planted the Sunforce repellers. Last time I killed a snake was two weeks ago.
    This past weekend I watched a TV show called "Animal Extractors" about a home in Northern CA that was infested with rattlesnakes. The extractors told the homeowner to get rid of all the underbrush and clustered shrubbery. I've got about 50 feet of 12' legustrums wrapping my pool with privacy and shade, so this weekend I hired a couple of college guys to cut them down to 36". Oh yes, they look real bad right now....but I stood by with my machete..ready to attack as soon as one tried to escape from the noise of the chainsaw. Not one snake emerged. Throughout the hot afternoon and all day yesterday, no sign whatsoever of any snakes.
    I now realize the repellers removed the snakes' food source, just as so many of you suggested. And I removed their shade. As it turns out, while backtracking this forum, I found that "hotrox" had found these repellers too, back in 2006, and recommended them. I ordered the five repellers but sold two to an officemate who has a koi pond. I expect he will have gradual but rewarding results.
    Carol in West Virginia

• heath60
    15 years ago

What about racers? These black creatures are here in Florida and move too fast for the average Joe to catch. I live in a city neighborhood and see these things occasionally in the yard. I'm surprised I'm alive to write this post because I've come up on them while cutting grass and have not had a heart attack or a fatal shock. One got into the garage. One was on the back patio. One came up the laundry chute and got killed when I attempted to dry clothes, which ruined my dryer.

Yes, I have a white rocks surrounding the house. Yes, I have small boxwood bushes on the side of the house, in the white rocks. Yes, I have shrubbery and bushes.

But, come on. Enough is enough.

People say the racers are not poisonous and kill rodents. Aside from the neighbor have a possum issue in her attic, the only rodents around here are squirrels. (I saw a raccoon once at night in the backyard.)

I respect snakes' role in doing what they do for our enviornment, especially if they're killing rats. But, I just don't want them in my house or too close to it.

I've seen racers slither right through Snake-Away, which I think loses any effect it has once a daily Florida shower drenches the ground.

I have an electronic snake repellent plugged inside the house; yet, racers appear to be immune.

I've used mothballs.

A few days ago, I decided to trim wild branches on a hibiscus bush, and, lo and behold, a long, black snake jumps to the ground. I was so pissed off that I threw a pole at it.

So, any advice on deterring racers, aside from removing every plant, bush, rock and flower in my yard? (I always keep the grass cut low.)

• slats
    15 years ago

Hi all,
    could anyone provide some more feedback on these devices.
    Neither produce provides evidence of independent research. The one that claims to repel snakes claims to have a researched low frequency. The cheaper one claims to repel rodents - which is the food source of the snakes.
    They are possibly make in the same Chinese factory and have the same (unadjustable?) settings. But i would pay more if i thought it would work.
    Slats

• bmmalone
    15 years ago

as Walter Reeves stated on Saturday morning - save your money, these just don't work. Period.

• tbtbandmom
    15 years ago

Gees! witch hunts too? I didn't realize people were still so speciesist! I'd love to have those big racers around my pond- my dog's nose was bitten by a baby copperhead (nite vets bill double) and kingsnakes eat those lil guys.
    Not many wild animals are as docile and as NON-threatening as a non-venomous snake. Sorry, tiptoe around them is my advice, or rather stomp hard on the ground so they hear you coming, they'll avoid you.

• psyche
    15 years ago

Unfortunately there is a new subdivision going in behind us and the snake population tripled this year. After many of the neighbors found copperheads (verified) this year, my husband and I ripped out all the monkey grass and boxwoods from around the front of the house. We have a toddler and I am not going to risk his life so the snakes can be comfortable. I want them gone.

• snakecatcher
    15 years ago

I use mothballs put them around your house in any holes you see and in the garden. The fumes from the mothballs irritate them and they well leave the place for a long time. Or if youre desperate you can spray gasoline around there and in any holes you see to get rid of them. And skunks wont come around either.

Rattlesnake catcher

• janetgarf
    14 years ago

Has anyone had success with the Sunforce Solar Repellers?

I have a friend who purchased the Solar Powered Sentinel Snake repeller four years ago and has not seen one snake on his property since then. He placed one on each corner of his property (5 acres)and it has done the job. However, the Sunforce is much less expensive and wanted to know if works.

• satellitehead
    14 years ago

I rarely ever see them on my property. Heck, I'd like to find a way to attract the little buggers to my area. I'm surprised they don't frequent more often given the stackstone beds that we've got. You'd figure snakes would want to sunbathe more often.

I literally just saw my first snake of the year - maybe two - while cutting the grass two weekends ago. Looked to be a rat snake of some sort, about 10-12" long. Stopped the mower, picked him up and put him in my veggie beds. Maybe he'll eat the squirrels and chipmunks wreaking havoc on my stuff!

• ellix
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well since I wrote this post I couldn't tell you of all the snakes I've seen/caught. I did not use the sulfur again as I found it was very bad for my plants and other wildlife. The rocks have to stay as they are part of the landscaping to hold the soil where it is. I continue to plant because it is for the wildlife. The pond stays because I couldn't imagine being without it. I try to be as organic as I can be so gasoline and moth balls are out.
    I did find when you leave bird netting (used to keep leaves out of the pond) on the ground a snake somehow gets traped in it. Yes indeed I have sections of it around and have caught more than a few. The best thing I've found is the 'snake stick'. I bought the 6' foot one even though I am only 5'-one never knows how big a snake you may run into right? So far at least I am not aware of any cotton mouths up by my little pond but for sure they are down in the big pond. I contine to get rat snakes- caught a few with the snake stick, one black racer-it was caught in the netting, a couple small water snakes I actually caught with a net and flung them out of the pond so someone else could catch, a cranebrake rattler near the pond but right up next to my screen porch where my cats like to sun--from the inside only and it is usually Muffin (one that used to live outside) who informs me of a snake by his actions and he has always been right. They tell me of the frogssssss, (lots of frogs) and turtles that are all about but it is different when Muffin sees a snake. Maybe it's because he enjoys watching mommie go out to play with it. I also have a snake trap which has only caught a few snakes. Over the summer I had a small porch built off the bedroom-had a double window removed and a patio door put in. Well I love it as it it right up next to my pond. I can observe very closely without being noticed. A few days back I see movement, a frog jumping but a red belly snake is after it, he slides out of the water via the waterfall. I see it is young maybe about 2' and I get more netting to place around that section. A couple days later I wonder why part of the net has fallen into the pond when I see the head of the snake is in it. I am so excited and go get the stick and bucket. When I get it and pull it out of the water I see this is not at all the little snake I saw eariler. I keep pulling it out of the water and boy am I talking to God at this point because I don't know how It will fit into my bucket attached to about 6 yards of netting. This snake is at least 3 and a half foot and it is as thick as my arm. I did get it in the bucket and then called the animal control so they could get it out of the netting and release it on their property. I usually just take them down 4-5 miles where there is another pond. It took the rest of the day to get back to normal. I still have a very healthy respect for snakes and am trying very hard to learn about them. I have this rat snake I see in the front sometimes-when moma birds are teaching babies to fly. It will leave as soon as it sees me. I had a pair of mocking birds that I watched build their nest in a lg rose bush that were fussing very loudly about something. Well it was another rat snake up in the bush near the nest of eggs. I got a stick and made it leave. That was when I looked online to get the snake stick. It was later up near the porch and I caught that one. I do not understand why this one and maybe 3 others like it were not afraid of me and didn't quickly leave when they saw me and this one rat snake flys as soon as it sees me. Are there different types of black rat snakes?
    I do check netting often so frogs and birds don't get traped in it. Sorry this has gotten so long.

• debbiep_gw
    14 years ago

What is a snake stick?I think I could use one this year to.Debbie

• ellix
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Debbie, it is the best thing I have bought. I got the 6' one but they do come shorter. It has a handle you squeeze which opens the other end and you close it around -below the snakes neck and it can't bite you--(even though my knees still wobble during this process it gets better with practice). Just google snake stick.

• debbiep_gw
    14 years ago

Thanks,I will.The longer the pole the better.I have had to deal with a cranky snake this summer.It lives or lived under the front porch steps.It would lay out by the sidewalk.I have to check to see if its out before going out with the dogs or by myself.My porch is 3 or 4 ft above the ground and I pulled a chair out to watch it and it lunged at me,I decided to go in but went back for one more look and it was coming up the steps.It doesn't appear to want to share the front yard with us.Its three/half ft long and thick bodied dull black snake.I haven't seen it for a few days.Debbie

• ellix
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Oh my, Debbie how do you even leave your front door? Have you called the animal control? Do you know what kind of snake it is? What kind of dogs do you have? Don't they want to get at it?

• debbiep_gw
    14 years ago

I didn't know I could call animal contol for snakes.We live in the county.I haven't seen it for a week at least.I'm hoping it has moved on.My dogs are basset hounds,they are inside dogs and they haven't had a chance to get after it.After seeing it the first time I always check to see if its out before going out with them.It doesn't come out if we are out there first.I do know one of mine would get after it.Anyway heres hoping its gone.

• thamnophis
    14 years ago

I'm really sorry to read so many people getting fooled by the irrational claims made by makers of the various snake repellents. None of them work - not even a little bit.

If someone reports a reduction in the number of snakes the fact can be explained by changes in season, or other natural or man made change in the environment.

Take a minute to read some details at the link below:

joe

• vtandrea
    14 years ago

I have 2 of the solar-powered vibration devices and still see at least 8 garter snakes each season, usually more. I think they may have an effect on moles though. Snake-Away doesn't work; haven't tried the Liquid Fence stuff. If my neighbor would get rid of the loose pile of bricks out back, there might be fewer of the slithery critters.

• harris4802_earthlink_net
    13 years ago

I live in Arkansas. In August 2009 my dog was bit on her nose in my yard, most likely by a copperhead. She survived fine. About one month later I was bit in the foot by a copperhead in my carport. (It was late at night and I was stupid wearing flip flops). He got me good and my foot was swollen for 6 weeks.

In the last 3 weeks I have encountered 10 different copperheads and am definitely concerned for my dog's and my own safety. I've read up on remedies and the only thing I can add is that if you have any birdfeeders you should remove them as often rodents (squirrels) will be attracted to them.
    Wear boots, and like others have said, do your best to remove the source of the snakes food. I have looked in to buying some speckled king snakes as they are predators of the copperhead, but thus far they're too expensive.

Paul

• jalmkrueger_comcasr_com
    12 years ago

I have just encountered snake (garter) number 2 on my kitchen countertop! Now I am not about to lie about being someone who is going to be concerned about killing a snake that finds my kitchen a happy habitat. I live in Minnesota, we have just been through a long winter, but I cannot live with these things in my kitchen! We started seeing them about 3 years ago when a development began across the street - we first saw them in the basement in the fall, then spring, last fall was when I found the first one on my countertop. I am at my wits end!! They can live in my yard, but not in my home!!! We do have rock around the foundation and around the deck of our above-ground pool, We dont have much for heavy shrubs around the house and we keep them trimmed. There is an open field on ten acres next to us which Im sure has a nice population of mice. We have yet to find a mouse in our house, but thats likely because the snakes may be getting them. We thought we found how they were getting in, closed it off, didnt see any for a year, but now they are back. Now what? Do we have to dig up around the entire foundation to look for other entry points to get rid of them? Or should we get a cat or mouse traps, we also live where there is much marshy land, which the frogs/toads like.
    Help I am getting desperate!!!

• robinsnestga
    12 years ago

Last April 2 of my dogs were bitten by a copperhead (vet confirmed it was a copperhead) - quite expensive for treatment. Anyway, we took multiple measures in and around the dog run which is 35' by 65' and am not sure which worked but have not seen any more snakes (yet) in the dog run.

We put out Snake-A-Way, also applied a product called EcoEXEMPT G mainly for flea & tick control and we bought a big thick natural fiber rope from the hardware store and ran it along the outside of the fence. I've heard snakes will not cross the rope because the fibers hurt their skin.

The EcoEXEMPT smells nice and is organic - made with clove oil & thyme oil.

About 2 weeks ago we did come across a black racer but it was in another part of the yard with a lot of rocks, stepping stones, etc. Our property backs up to a creek and lake with natural wetlands so snakes are to be expected. I just don't want my dogs to get hurt again.

I know snakes are beneficial and don't like to see them killed - I found 2 great websites for identifying snakes and they're really informative about which are the Good" and which are the "bad".

http://www.uga.edu/srelherp/snakes/index.htm
    http://timberrattlesnake89.tripod.com/venomouspage.html

Hope this helps - Happy Spring!!

• Coreanut
    12 years ago

Dont know if anyone has posted this idea, (im not sure how old the post is either) But here in Australia we get a lot of venomous snakes, they are great at a distance and i hate the thought of killing them, i am currently researching snake repellents myself for the reason that we have Red bellied black snake (who eats brown snakes), a large litter of brown snakes, and we use to have a couple of tiger snakes (all of which are highly venomous) I found a product that is solar powered and uses vibrations, it says it works for about 750 square metres, which is a regular sized suburban block, im sure they work, dont know if there are similar product over sea's

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz