Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dwarf crape myrtle won't grow

Posted by abykat 7b (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 19, 13 at 13:23

I got 2 dwarf crape myrtles, Razzle Dazzle, from a friend. Planted them about a year ago, In summer. They were very small but seemed to take nicely at first but just didnt grow much. I didn't expect them to bloom or grow to much that first year. Of course they died back in winter and they did pop back up in spring. However they just don't want to grow. They are staying very small, seems not much bigger then when I put them in. It's like they just want to stay status quo. I can't seem to motivate them to take off. I expected them to grow well this year and am disappointed. Can anyone offer suggestions as to what might be wrong or what I can do? I have fertilized with an all purpose fertilizer and I mulched around them. Do they need lots of water perhaps?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dwarf crape myrtle won't grow

Crape myrtles don't usually "die back" in winter in Georgia. If they had to resprout back from the ground this spring then clearly they are having issues.

And they are "dwarf"; what is the maximum size per the industry for these?

o
Thanks for your reply esh ga.

Yes it is a true dwarf. The mature height is listed a 3-5 ft.
My friend got a bunch of them from on an line nursery, as replacement plants from a company she uses online. She had to many and shared two with me. She said hers are growing well. They were very, very small when I got them. Maybe that's why they didn't do well the first winter, I don't know. They do look like they are struggling. When I looked it up - I believe mine is cherry Razzle Dazzle - it said it is deciduous and 3 ft tall - 4 ft wide. I will try to post a photo soon. Thanks again.

o
RE: Dwarf crape myrtle won't grow

Every single Razzle Dazzle series I've tried has died if it's small. They only seem to survive if planted when a larger size.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here