Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bagsmom_gw

Sick tree

bagsmom
14 years ago

Hey gang! Let me preface this question by saying I know I need to consult an arborist on this, but y'all are so experienced and knowledgeable, I figure you might have a few thoughts for me. We have a 60 foot oak tree out back that had ambrosia beetles a few years back. I spent the $400 for arborgard to do a treatment -- plus injections of beneficial micro-organisms into the soil to help the trees around it be healthy. I knew it was a long shot, but figured the 400 was worth it -- if there was even a tiny chance that it would save the tree. Well, see if this sounds familiar to any of you. The bark has developed a long vertical crack in it, although it looks like it is sort of healing or scarring from within. That seems like a good thing. NOT a good thing is the white, thready looking (sort of fuzzy) patch of mold at the base of the trunk. It was about the size of a big dinner plate and expanded to a platter size. I went back there yesterday and it was disgusting! The tree is literally oozing a greyish-white BUBBLING substance that looks like vomit. (Sorry.) Little gnats are having a hey-day.

Sounds like a lost cause. Do you agree? Luckily, the tree is back in the woods and not near any buildings. If it falls, it will take out a bunch of young magnolias.

Have any of you heard of anything like this before? I wonder what it is? I don't have any money for an arborist right now, so I just thought I would check with you guys, for interest more than anything.

Thanks!!!!!!

Comments (9)

• girlgroupgirl
    14 years ago

I would have to say call arborguard immediately. This sounds like beetle damage to me. I think you would need to tree treated annually. I have had beetle damage in several trees in one spot, finally I had to just realize no trees there! Crazy, but the beetles would find it every time.
    Call and get them out to see,

• Iris GW
    14 years ago

I agree it should be looked at. Might be slime flux. Not a good sign - I think it can indicate stress.

Here is a link that might be useful: Slime flux

• satellitehead
    14 years ago

Is that who everyone recommends for arborist locally?

We have a sweet gum in the front yard that's at least 4' around, probably a good 40-50 years old or moreand it's been dropping huge branches week after week, and it seems like all the growth is toward the trunk with all the peripheral branches being dead...figured we should have it looked at.

• satellitehead
    14 years ago

oops, arborgard is a treatment!

does anyone have a suggestion for a local arborist? this tree could fall and kill any number of people, and it's huge. i just want to make sure it's healthy. it's dropping branches left and right.

• rosiew
    14 years ago

My understanding is that trees die from the outside branches in.

That said, your city or county may have an arborist who can tell you whether there is an hope for your tree.

My back yard is now filled with branches of the willow that got cut down yesterday. So sad to lose it. It offered a wonderful place for picnics and climbing, plus looked great from the house. Feel it died because of lack of water in the past two years - something I couldn't do anything about with the restrictions.

Rosie, in Sugar Hill

• bagsmom
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Satellite - actually, Arborguard - or gard - is the name of the company. I like them. They are pricey, but quite knowledgeable.
    Hey - have you tried calling the county extension office? They are always helpful!
    Esh - thanks for the link on slime flux. There is certainly something going on with the tree. New fungal growth at the base now. I am noticing that many of the trees (dying trees) in nearby yards have fungus issues. I don't know if the fungus is attracted to the trees because they are dying -- or if the fungus is the cause of the death.... I hope it's not something spreading underground. Hmmmmm. Tree Mysteries!

• satellitehead
    14 years ago

I haven't called the local extension office.

COA Arborists don't exactly have a reputation for accuracy. I've read about 4 people within a mile of my house (SAND neighborhoods) having 4 separate trees certified "healthy" by a COA Arborist. Two fell down on houses. One was appealed by the homeowner because another arborist said the tree (a pine) was in irreparable shape. The fourth one has been denied by the city (from one of the earlier owners that had a similar tree fall on their house), even though another (non-COA) arborist deemed it as dead/dying/unhealthy.

I swear, the COA has a racket going on. They tell you "no" the first time so you hafta pay an additional fee so you can appeal it, and they say "yes" the second time around.

I'd prefer to talk to a non-city arborist first, get an assessment, then call one of COA's folks. I'm sure I'll need to appeal the decision (knowing my luck), and the tree will certainly cost a good $1500+ to take down due to its 50' tall stature, three huge trunks, and base easily having an 18" radius.

• vroomp
    14 years ago

I was unaware there was any cure for Ambrosia Bettles once they have infested a tree. Aren't they the ones that bore holes and push the sawdust out like little worms?

• dirtygardener73
    14 years ago

what you have is slime flux, and it's bacterial, not fungal. Here's a link.

Here is a link that might be useful: Slime Flux