buford
14 years ago

YEAH!!!

Now, don't go crazy out there....

Link

Comments (16)

• girlgroupgirl
    14 years ago

That's OK. I'm saving over $100 a month on my water bills by using only rain barrel water, and it's going to stay that way! I sure learned a lesson about water in the garden two years ago...it can be expensive when the city raises the cost of water!

• GAAlan
    14 years ago

I don't agree with the move to allow car washing. I think people will go nuts with that. My neighbor's nephew washed his car six times in two weeks while the level four restrictions were in place. This move might raise some ire in Alabama and Florida, though I don't think the areas using the Chattahoochee basin in those states ever had any restrictions. If true, I guess they can't say much to us. Also of interest as it relates to their timing, it has been speculated that a heat wave(10-15 degrees or more above normal) is coming for the last 10 days of June/first 10 of July. That could create the first spike on the chart of irresponsible water use. I am excited, but somewhat apprehensive, about the looser reins.

• squirrellypete
    14 years ago

I think the folks on our local city water in Hefiln, AL were on restrictions at one point last year or the year before but I don't know how long they remained in effect or if they're still on them. The people like us on well water weren't restricted, however I still went to almost exclusively watering using collected rainwater and grey water to ease the burden on my well. I got concerned when I started hearing about some people's wells drying up in Georgia during the height of the drought. It was a good habit to get into so it's here to stay.

Danielle

• Iris GW
    14 years ago

I don't have sprinklers. I never really did anything different under the ban - I just water by watering can, collect rain water in tubs and quit watering when I'm tired (which doesn't take long!).

Nice to have this rain ....

• nwgatreasures
    14 years ago

Well, the state isn't exactly known for it's common sense or sense of balance.....so my family will continue to conserve water and model for others on how to do it and wait for the pendulem to swing back to the other side.

::::sigh::::

We have many people in our neighborhood who have WAY MORE $$$$ than common sense or respect for mankind.

dora

• buford
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I will still use my rain barrels because I find them to be more convenient sometimes. I have a hard time getting to a lot of spots in my yard with the the hoses and I think that rainwater is better than hose water. But it's nice to be able to use the hose and not look out for water police.

Of course it's been raining so much I haven't needed to water anything. It's been tough for me because I have lots of new stuff that hasn't been established, so I've really worked hard the past 3 years keeping them hydrated. So I'm happy for all the rain and possibility of using my soaker hoses and relaxing a bit more this summer.

• bagsmom
    14 years ago

Dora - I know what you mean! I always love the people with the major sprinkler systems going -- in the middle of a rainstorm! Ding dongs!

• satellitehead
    14 years ago

how do y'all prevent algae buildup in your barrels? it seems like this is a huge problem in one of my neighbor's barrel, to the point that the algae has clogged up the spigot and now no water will come out.

• GAAlan
    14 years ago

I have been watching the level at Lanier rise at least some everyday for months, even if it was only 0.01. The day after they changed the restrictions it dropped 0.01, the first decrease I've seen since last year!

• razorback33
    14 years ago

The lake level fell slightly, even though there was significant rainfall in the Lanier watershed area during the period. Guess the USACE decided to refill West Point, since it had dropped below full summer pool! All of the lakes downstream from Lanier, WP, WFG, Woodruff (Seminole) are now at, near or above summer pool.
    Guess that makes the operators of the commercial oyster beds in FL and the gravel barges on the lower river happy!
    And it also makes the politicians in FL & AL speechless, thank goodness!

I probably won't change any watering routines, since the county water rates will not be reduced during my lifetime. Even if the usage rate returns to pre-drought level, they will just add more people to the Welfare Works water department, so that there will be 5-6 people, instead of the present 3-4, to entertain the 1-2 that are working.
    Rb

• nwgatreasures
    14 years ago

re: algea build up

I use Physan 20

Here is a link that might be useful: Physan 20 - Algea Control

• girlgroupgirl
    14 years ago

One of my barrels, the black one does not get algae at all. I am planning on veiling all my barrels from sight (not pretty) and also blacking out the lighter ones to stop algae growth. I've seen some fun veils - everything from using a trellis for heavy plant growth, to building a little shed, using bamboo rolls with shade cloth attached underneath it...

You can have fun!!

• satellitehead
    14 years ago

my neighbor's is translucent white with nothing but a windowscreen top rubberbanded to it to prevent mosquitoes. since they're not in the country and won't be for a while, so they won't be using the water, I put a couple cups of bleach into it (55gal drum) and that seems to have knocked down a good portion of the algae over the last 10 days or so. i'm going to figure out the spout situation for them. i'm going to tip them off to the physan stuff when they're back in town visiting later this year.

• nwgatreasures
    14 years ago

I use the Physan for my African Violets too. It has worked well for several different applications.

Dora

• buford
    Original Author
    14 years ago

My barrels are dark blue so while I get some algae, it doesn't block the spigot. And I consider it free fertilizer :)

• vroomp
    14 years ago

There was a watering ban?!!!