Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
esh_ga

Two down, two thousand to go

Iris GW
15 years ago

Found my first two japanese beetles in my yard this morning and killed both of them. After that I left and went way off in the woods, several miles from any garden and found two more (they were making more at the time, if you know what I mean). Killed both of those too, but I was surprised to see them so far from "civilization". Picked up 3 ticks for my trouble. They didn't get much further.

What a buggy day! Does anyone believe that article in the AJC that there will be fewer japanese beetles this year?

Comments (8)

• shot
    15 years ago

Way to go ESH or should we just call you Lady Bug or Bug Lady?
    At least they died happy...

Shot

• GAAlan
    15 years ago

I saw that bit in the paper about JBs too. I hadn't thought about it at the time, but at that point, I had not seen any beetles or chewed plants. I spotted some damage this morning on the outer bract of a banana inflorescence as I was leaving for work. They may be in smaller numbers or may be later than usual to hit full gear. The way the weather has progressed the last 29 days, the few that do appear, may again face some very dry soil!

• buford
    15 years ago

I hardly had any last year. I have a lot of rose bushes,so usually I'm inundated with them. Supposedly the ground is so hard that they grubs could not emerge. I am hoping the same is true this year. I did see one about 2 weeks ago, but none since then.

• stevega
    15 years ago

They are all at my house! Knockouts and cherry trees are their favorite, as usual. After dusting one black sweet potato vine in one container, I counted 70-80 dead on the deck beneath. No telling how many in the container. A flowering cherry had many hundreds. Since they are mating and flying low over the grass, I think they should be gone soon.
    I only dust twice and only in JB season and only on plants not in flower. I'm hoping that minimizes collateral damage.

• Iris GW
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Steve, you may want to consider using Milky Spore for grub treatment as well. Here is a good article. It does say "Spores build up in the soil over 2-4 years as grubs ingest them and die. Japidemic and Doom are milky spore products."

Here is a link that might be useful: UGA CAES japanese beetle control

• mk87
    15 years ago

They were all partying in MY yard last week and we did put out some traps. This week, they seem to be mostly gone; although there are not that many in the traps.

esh -- When do you put out milky spore? Now, during the infestation? Or earlier? How often? Etc? (Oh...duh...just saw your link there. I'll check it out.)

• mkrkmr
    15 years ago

I second the recommendation of milky spore. It really reduced the problem at our house. And it's been shown to be present 20 years after the first application and to spread slowly. I doubt it matters when you apply it. The spores remain viable a long time (they survive between generations after all). If you can get your neighbors to do it, too, it should help.

Here is a link that might be useful: USDA on managing JB

• stevega
    15 years ago

Thanks Ellen. You are always so helpful and you didn't even mention the ills of using the insecticide of the same name (almost) as an Atlanta metal band. I'll definitely apply milky spore this year.

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio