Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shot_gw

ESH, you back yet?

shot
14 years ago

Haven't heard from you and just wondering about your trip.

Pictures say a thousand words, you know... (hint hint)

Hope you are enjoying this wonderful weather we have been having the past few days. I got on the tractor this morning and went to take some photos of my corn for a friend over on the Vegetable Forun and almost bogged down.

It will be dry enough in a couple of days that I can really ramble... lol

Your friend,

Shot

Comments (6)

• Iris GW
    14 years ago

I am back! I'm afraid I don't have many interesting pictures, but I'll see what I got. It was my first trip to Nashville (and I didn't go into the city at all) and I was amazed to see how much ROCK is in Tennessee. It was everywhere. And people kept referring to the "highland rim" and how Nashville is in a bowl or something. I am going to have look up the topology of the area.

We visited two natural areas (Percy Warner Park and Cheekwood) and it was SO discouraging to see how much land the invasives have covered. That area has a huge problem with bush honeysuckle - it is equivalent to our privet infestation, but they ALSO have privet! And mimosa and tree of heaven and one park had vinca and euonymus fortunei vines .... Very, very discouraging. I guess these places just don't have the resources (money or volunteers) to deal with it.

Anyway, the weather was good and the drive went smoothly, so it was a good time.

• shot
    Original Author
    14 years ago

ESH, so glad that you've returned safe and sound. Sounds like an interesting trip and I look forward to the pictures.

Several years ago my wife and I took a vacation and started at the Biltmore House and worked our way through the mountains until we got to Nashville. She took me to the Grand Ole Opry and got to see some big name stars, one of which I saw as a kid, Little Jimmy Dickens. There are two stadiums, one downtown and the other on the outskirts. We went to the one on the outskirts.
    Enjoyed the travelling and sightseeing, but didn't like the accomadaions at night as I prefer to sleep in my own bed and watch my own television.

Anyway, good to see you back and look forward to any pictures you might share.

Shot

• Iris GW
    14 years ago

Here is a picture of a HUGE sassafras tree - I had no idea they even grew this large:

{{gwi:824698}}

This is a "bladdernut" tree, these are seed pods:

And this, for those that like pretty flowers, is a bloom on a 'Little Gem' magnolia in a cultivated area:

• stevega
    14 years ago

Good pics.
    I wonder if I have pulled any young bladdernuts thinking that they were poison ivy/oak?

• Iris GW
    14 years ago

I don't think it's that common. Here is a link to the Georgia county distribution for it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Staphylea trifolia - bladdernut

• shot
    Original Author
    14 years ago

ESH, great pics, as usual. THANKS!

Shot

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus