Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rosiew

?s re brush piles and virginia creeper

rosiew
13 years ago

I have three or four virginia creepers that have volunteered and am wondering if I should let them stay. One is at the base of a big pine which stands apart from my other trees. Won't say more, but hoping for your opinions.

The back of my property has lots of brush, a lot of which I was going to move to the undeveloped mess behind me. Then realized it's providing habitat. Doh. I'd like to tame it some, maybe lop big branches into smaller. but again, will wait for your thoughts. BTW, total lot is less than 1/2 acre with most to the rear - small front yard. Have had a hard time getting things to grow there and am content to leave it mostly woods. It's a great place to go to escape the heat and sun.

Thanks all.

Rosie in Sugar Hill

Comments (5)

• girlgroupgirl
    13 years ago

Rosie, be careful of ticks back in that brush! You can probably tame some of your brush into useable areas, and leave the rest to habitat. That could help you introduce more desired plants, if you like, into the tamed areas and slowly convert wildness into something more desirable, if you choose.

My opinion on virginia creeper is to get rid of it. One becomes MANY very quickly.

• Iris GW
    13 years ago

I would leave the one at the base of the big pine. Let it go up it. It has great fall color and it will provide some nourishment for the critters.

• oldmayfly
    13 years ago

Virginia creeper does have pretty fall color. One suggestion, though, take a good look at that pine once a year and make sure the creeper isn't smothering it.

Of course, never have a virginia creeper near the house. They can actually work their way through the wall. As I know from experience.

• woody_ga
    13 years ago

The brush piles will certainly help as a habitat, and they will compost eventually. Maybe you could get something to grow over it to hide it somewhat.

And I winder if you could find some plants that love the deep shade. Hostas, ferns, something along those lines....

• rosiew
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I've appreciated your thoughts. The piles are all dead brush - and don't really bother me - and the kids play behind some I've put between trees.

GGG - thanks for the warning about ticks. My cat and I each had one a couple of weeks ago - the really small ones.

woody - I'll try more plants up there. Have a bit of variegated vinca major and some pachysandra, neither doing well. The soil is inordinately dry, even under leaf litter. I'll keep adding clippings and whatever I can lay my hands on, maybe buy some more wheat straw. The whole area is too far from the house to be noticed much.

esh - will rogue out the other virginia creepers. Agree one in the pine will look pretty. Oldmayfly - I'll heed your words and keep it in check. Lots of branches low enough that I can climb and sever the creeper.

Y'all are so good!!!
    Rosie

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz