Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bagsmom_gw

the best maple tree

bagsmom
13 years ago

My next door neighbor wants to replace a tree where she removed a giant oak about 2 years ago.

She spoke with an arborist who told her maples don't do well in the greater Atlanta area, due to pollution. (We are in Marietta.)

This arborist also recommended a honey locust tree instead, which she bought and planted.

Some of our other neighbors laughed and said there are HUNDREDS of these trees, growing like weeds down in the creek area behind their house. THey said they are much like mimosa, and somewhat invasive.

So -- she is bummed out about the locust tree and is thinking maybe the person she spoke with didn't give her the best advice.

Comments from you guys?

Comments (7)

• bagsmom
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Me again -- meant to add that perhaps there IS a maple that will do well here.... and perhaps you all know of one.

:)

• Iris GW
    13 years ago

Red maple absolutely thrives here - it is one of the most dominant trees in my yard. Cultivars like 'October Glory' have predictably stellar fall color.

I have also planted Sugar Maple in the past and it has done well. I have found Southern Sugar Maple growing naturally in my yard also and in other yards in the neighborhood (it turns a very attractive clear yellow color in the fall, but has the exact leaf shape of the northern sugar maple which turns orange).

Another native maple is Chalkbark Maple. I have found that in Cherokee and Cobb counties in the wild. A much smaller tree than red maple and the leaf is more like the sugar maple.

So yeah, maples do FINE. Don't know what he was talking about. I don't know anything about Honey Locust (Gleditsia triacanthos) other than it is not related to Black Locust (Robinia pseudoacacia) which I have seen all up and down I-85 in the spring (looks like White wisteria trees).

I am attaching a link to the natural distribution of Honey Locust. Doesn't seem to be around as much as people think, but it is possible that the data is wrong.

Here is a link that might be useful: Honey locust distribution in Georgia

• Iris GW
    13 years ago

One tree that is getting more attention these days is the native Yellowwood: Cladrastis kentukea.

I have seen it for sale at Buck Jones in Woodstock.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cladrastis kentukea

• botanicat
    13 years ago

Our woods is full of sugar maples that have fall colors ranging from bright red-orange to orange to yellow. We have transplanted some into our yard and they have done very well and are gorgeous in the fall. I'm in NW Georgia.

• woody_ga
    13 years ago

I have been told that October Glories have developed problems because of cloning deterioration. I have no way of knowing if this is true or not. Could be a myth. County extension agent may know.

But I do thing a native Maple would be better. And I think it has a whole lot to do with proper site prep and planting. Remember to plan for how big the tree will eventually get, and give it lots of room.

• buford
    13 years ago

I have Autumn Blaze and it's doing very well. Bought it at Home Depot for about $25 and it has excellent fall color.

• william7b
    13 years ago

The arborist was wrong, and probably wasn't certified. Maples, especially October Glory and Autumn Blaze, do very well here. The only thing you need to be aware of is that maples are typically very shallow rooted and will give you problems if you want to have something like lawn within reach. To dig near maples to plant hostas or hellebores, or anything else for that matter, will make you ask why that mattock seems to kill your back. Locust, on the other hand, are not generally desirable. Get your money back.

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler