Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Powdery mildew on crepe myrtle?

Posted by suwannee75 7b (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 1, 06 at 15:48

I just got back from a trip and noticed my crepe myrtle is covered in white powdery stuff, much more than I have ever seen on a cuke or squash. I hosed it off, but what is it and what is the best tx? Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Powdery mildew on crepe myrtle?

You must have a disease susceptible crape myrtles, as the National Arboretum cultivars are all very resistant. ;-( Unnamed varieties or seedling crape myrtles can be VERY prone to this fungus.

First of all, there are some cultural things that you should pay attention to. Avoid topping your crape myrtle, as that forces plants to produce enormous unnatural growth spurts so attractive to PM. Avoid excessive nitrogen fertilization. Thin out your plant with proper pruning cuts to improve sunlight penetration and air circulation. Keep all sucker growth pruned from the trunk.

Sulfur based fungicides can be very effective, but you must read and follow directions for use. Also, neem oil has been reported to be helpful, super fine horticultural oils, and baking soda sprays. Be careful that you don't use the sulfur sprays within two weeks or so of an oil application. The label will have that on it.

Remove the old mulch once you've got the PM under control and replace with fresh. If you haven't mulched at all, do so.

Sounds like a lot of work, but in truth.......PM outbreaks can be almost entirely avoided. It's much easier to prevent than to have to treat your plant for the entire season.

o

Wow, thank you for the excellent info.

o

Or you can be a complete slacker like me and ignore it completely. Eventually the tree will be 20 feet tall and you won't be able to see it anyway. I'd like to say it's called tough love, but really it's unexcusable indifference.

o

Hey, we have suwanee, sugarhill and buford on the same thread....

I had bad PM on one of my crepe myrtles afew years ago. My neighbors had allowed their shrubs near the CM to get very high and they were blocking out the morning sun. Thankfully they've cut them lower and the CM has gotten higher, as sugarhill suggested.

o

http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/plantanswers/trees/crapemyrtle/crape_myrtle_varieties.html is a good website that lists characteristics of many crapemyrtle cultivars, including levels of powdery mildew resistance

o

I have the powdery mildew on just the buds of my crepe myrtle tree. It should be in full bloom about now and I am wondering if it will bloom this year.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here