Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alantaflowergal

What are your favorites for Atlanta?

alantaflowergal
14 years ago

Hello all, I would like some input if you have the time. I have a nice sized garden/yard in Atlanta (Grant Park) that is basically half shade, half sun. The shade area has several dogwoods running alongside a wooden privacy fence, some Rose of Sharon that were there when I purchased the house, I transplanted a few hosta back there to get them out of the sun, and a friend gave me some hellabores, and I've now planted those and they are doing fine. I also bought a flame azalea at the Zoo sale, and its still small but doing fine. What I would like are some ideas for taller somewhat showy, shade tolerant/filtered sun blooming plants that do well in Atlanta. I have a vision of a [colorful?] woodland blooming garden in that area, but definitely need some ideas.

The other side of the yard is sunny. I have some elephant ears, a crape myrtle - still small, butterfly bush (I know, I know), beautyberry, a couple rose bushes and maybe a couple of other plants that Home Depot and Lowes carries as those stores pretty much have been my main source for purchasing. Again, I would appreciate some ideas for fill-in plants that are a little out of the ordinary. I have cannas, day lillies, etc. in other places around the property, but really wanted some different out-of-the-ordinary plants for the backyard garden.

I thought maybe I'd take a trip down to Nearly Native Plants this weekend but before I go and fall in love with everything, I would like to know what some of your favorites are and maybe I could look for those specific plants. Or, if you have any suggestions for plants that I could find in-town, that would be just as good too.

Know that I do water as-needed and have pretty good soil. Everything I've planted seems to stay alive and then some.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Comments (5)

• Iris GW
    14 years ago

Nearly Native is a great nursery and I'm sure you'll find some interesting things and, unfortunately, "natives" CAN be something out of the ordinary these days!!

Keep in mind that blooms in shade do depend on the available filtered light. While shade plants do bloom with less available light, they still need enough. If you have time on a sunny day, you might observe that area for just how much sun it gets (check each hour and note if the area is in sun/filtered sun or not). Count the hours you have noted by the end of the day.

Trees, shrubs and perennials just have one bloom season per year (compared to annuals like impatiens that just keep going until frost). Using variegated foliage helps maintain an illusion of color during the non-blooming times.

That said, some of the shade native perennials that I would consider: Black Cohosh (which can be almost shrub like in stature), Foamflower, Shuttleworth Ginger (good foliage), Coral bells (Heuchera), Solomon's seal and False Solomon's seal, Bloodroot (spring bloomer) and Iris cristata. And of course ferns - things like Maidenhair fern are not used very often but are great looking.

Shade tolerant native shrubs: Oakleaf hydrangea, Smooth hydrangea (Hydrangea arborescens), Sweetshrub (the 'Athens' cultivar is very fragrant), Mapleleaf viburnum and Viburnum nudum.

Hope that helps.

• bagsmom
    14 years ago

You mentioned already having rose of sharon, but I have to say, they have become my favorite plant in my yard, because they are so darned dependable! Up where I am from (Midwest) people use them as shrubs, but I like to train them into a tree form, then let the tops go crazy like a fountain of branches. They bloom like crazy in sun or shade and hummingbirds love them!!!! They seem indestructible! Maybe your shrubs have some little babies that you could relocate and train. I also love Eastern Redbud. I'll bet your house is fabulous. I love Grant Park! There is so much going on down there in terms of rejuvenation and renovation! Have fun at Nearly Native!

• alantaflowergal
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks all, for your suggestions. I haven't made it down to the nursery yet. I spent all last weekend trimming tree branches to get more light in that back corner. Also, the lack of rain has me a little concerned. Seems all I'm doing right now is running around trying to water and keep everything I've planted alive.

Where did the rain go?

I'll let you know how it turns out and I'll post photos soon of the yard and planting areas.

• cyrus_gardner
    14 years ago

I don't think that middle of summer is a good time for planting, shrubs, trees even some flowers. The chief reason is super hot weather.

If I were you , I would put off things till fall or very late summer when it cools off. It is not just the hot air, not waterin problem, but also the soil/ground temperatur.

• bagsmom
    14 years ago

I agree with cyrus! I would use this time to keep planning and researching -- and tucking away money! So in the Fall, you can go on a shopping and planting binge!!!!!! (I'm jealous!)

Sponsored
Capital City Construction & Remodeling
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars6 Reviews
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living