Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cindy_eatonton

Armadillos...

cindy_eatonton
12 years ago

I have most of my veggies growing inside my garden fence and have mostly done battle with squirrels who come in the garden and dig up newly seeded beds. A piece of 2x4 wire fence dropped on the beds seems to discourage them until the plants take off and then usually we're good.

But I now have some veggies planted outside the fence and the armadillos have found it. At least that's what I think is digging things up - looks like a small bulldozer has been through the beds and there's no rhyme or reason as to what is being dug (at least to my eye).

I've put up some small barriers where I can, but does anyone know of something I can spray/shake on the ground to deter the devils? I have 160 feet of perimeter garden beds that can't be fenced easily/inexpensively... And that's not including the squash!

(These are veggies and I garden mostly organically...)

Thanks!

cindy

Comments (5)

• rosiew
    12 years ago

Cindy, hope you can find and use a Hav-a-heart trap for this. I had a raccoon ravishing one bed recently - unrooting everything. Animal Control said he was probably just searching for worms. Well, Mr. Raccoon, go elsewhere.

Your animal control people may let you rent a trap from them. I know Fulton County, GA used to offer this.

Keep us posted.
    Rosie

• cindy_eatonton
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you for replying Rosie. So sorry to hear about a raccoon in your garden - they are very hard to deal with. Very smart creatures.

I have a Have A Heart for squirrels - not sure if armadillos will fit in that... But maybe worth a try!

I could try calling animal control, but since I'm in a rural area, I suspect that they will think this is funny and suggest a shotgun... The deer came by last night and mowed off all of the cowpeas outside the fence and the "companion" radishes... Argh!

There are days I think it is not worth gardening...

Cindy

• rosiew
    12 years ago

Cindy, you need to take action! First talk to folks near you - ask what they do. I live in a little city - no discharging of firearms allowed. Are you using deer deterents? If not, get with the program. Know people here who use the motion activated sprinkler called Scarecrow - and I used Milorganite fertilizer to keep deer away. Let me/us know what you learn and what you do, k?

• cindy_eatonton
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Rosie,

Well, we took action - put a temporary 5' fence around it (using a bungee to pull it shut) and so far, so good. Between the squirrels, deer, and armadillos - it can be a real challenge...

What's the Milorganite fertilizer effect for deer? I did a quick search - it's created from sludge? Not so sure I want that in my veggies - but perhaps in the lawn around the garden?

• rosiew
    12 years ago

Deer hate the smell. It is created from sewage sludge and the company has been making it from Milwaukee sewage for at least 40 years. I use Oscomote type fertilizer some but almost all my fert needs met by Milorganite - on everything. Do a search of the Organic Gardening Forum here for Milorganite - will take you the rest of the summer to read all the posts.

Sorry you have so many invaders. Hope the fence keeps them out. BTW, I reapplied Milorganite at first sign of deer grazing for the years I was plagued with them in Roswell. Don't measure, just toss handfuls where I saw they'd been munching. End of problem, for me.

Keep us posted please, Cindy.
    Rosie

Sponsored