Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
catfishhoward

Raspberry plants - where can I buy some?

catfishhoward
9 years ago

I'm looking to buy 1 Bababerry, 1 Tayberry, 1 Anne Yellow & 1 Fall Gold. I live in Atlanta, Georgia and most places on-line I've found only do on-line shipping starting in November. Is there any Nurseries selling 3 year old plants within an hour drive? Is there a reason they only sell in November?

Thanks, Paul.

Comments (7)

• catfishhoward
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I called Willis Orchard Company which is close to my home and they won't be selling Raspberries until later this year, they are currently in the ground and don't have any in pots to sell.
    I really wanted nice 3 year old plants so I could judge the quality the rest of the year and next year to determine which ones I like best for a larger order in 2 years. Has anyone ordered 3 year old raspberries from Willis Orchard? Will they come with any primocanes? or should they produce new prims this coming spring? I think as long as it's comes with the whole root system I should get new prims in the spring. I just don't want to be disappointed with a small root system and 1 prim, I'd rather spent more money now and buy the whole plant now, if I can find any?

• catfishhoward
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Anyone know of any Pick Your Own farms around Atlanta, GA that might have Bababerry, Tayberry, Anne Yellow or Fall Gold?

• Konohamaru
    9 years ago

I planted 3 raspberry plants last year or year before. I think 2 are the Fall Gold- they produce yellow golden raspberries that have a really nice sweet flavor, but size-wise the fruit are kinda small. Anyway, I just wanted to say that my Fall Gold seem to spread quite a bit- and I end up just pulling and discarding the ones that are spreading where I don't want them. I got mine at Pike- so you could try calling them. I got mine when they were on clearance (half off or 75% off) but originally they were expensive.

The other one, I cant remember its name, but I want to call it Latham, I got it last year from Walmart- its roots were in a bag and it just had a stalk sticking out of it and it was marked really cheap in the fall (maybe 99 cents). Anyway, I expected that plant to die, and it too is spreading far and wide.

I think if you are still looking, maybe you could post if anyone is looking to discard raspberries also, cause I know, I just trash mine. The only problem with taking some from someone like me is that you wouldn't know if they are the fall gold or latham cause they are planted in same patch together.

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    9 years ago

I would be very careful about buying from Willis. That company has had lots and lots and lots of negative feedback from quite some time. Their Garden Watchdog rating is impressive, but NOT in a good way. The owner of the company was on GardenWeb years ago and did a decent job of defending the naysayers. For a while, I was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. But, where there's smoke, there's usually fire, and the smoke is literally boiling out of Willis's customer reviews. The owner also seems to have lost all interest in customer service or responding to customer complaints. Maybe (but I doubt it) an onsite customer would be treated better.

If it were me, I would buy new virus-indexed plants rather than getting "used" plants from someone else. Virus-indexed raspberry plants are much more likely to grow well and live longer.

I don't know off the top of my head which supplier to recommend (especially for the cultivars you listed), but below is a list that might lead to possibilities (see link).

Here is a link that might be useful: Sources for Fruit Trees and Plants

• thatcompostguy
    9 years ago

I like Willis. I ordered a bunch of trees (40 or 50, not just 1 or 2) from them in 2009/10 timeframe and most grew well. Replacements did fine until they were flooded last summer. I think they're the ones I tried to get pomegranates from and they did not do squat either time. But I believe that may have been my issue, not theirs. I would order from them again, just not pomegranates.

I've had trees die from Stark Bros, and they have top of the line fruit trees. I've had trees from Miller Nurseries and One Green World as well. Some good, some just in the wrong place. But we don't know until we try.

• catfishhoward
    Original Author
    9 years ago

nothing

This post was edited by catfishhoward on Mon, Jul 14, 14 at 15:13

• jessicaho2012
    9 years ago

From a guy who works at the Home Depot I know, you can get them cheap starting this time of year, and into the fall. He said that they usually aren't the best looking plants, but if you get them (and I guess they are CHEAP!) and then use Black Kow when you plant them, they do really well. All of mine from HD have done fabulously. I also got some from Pike, and they are doing well, too.

Sponsored