Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
opal52

Is our sun unusually hot this year?

opal52
15 years ago

Does anyone else think the sun feels excessively hot this year, even when temps in the 70/80s? My husband and I are Georgia natives and accustomed to the heat and normal hot summer sun. But this year, starting in late April, early May we noticed the sun actually causes pain it feels so direct and hot. It's like taking a walk at 2PM during the month of July in Key West Florida. Or worse.

Has anyone else noticed this?

Comments (9)

• rosiew
    15 years ago

Opal, I've felt the same way, actually for the past three years, I was chalking it up to old age, but mentioned to our Mayor, who is half my age, and he said the heat had really been bothering him also. Could be we've just had an unusually early dose of hot hot hot. Today was wonderful!

Rosie in Sugar Hill

• yomamanem
    15 years ago

I was just talking about this with my friend today. The sun is intense even though it was cooler. The sky was deep blue. I haven't heard anything from the local weather guy. Maybe we should send in a question to one of them.

• satellitehead
    15 years ago

it does seem hotter to me. i've noticed that the line of the sun has changed, and this is affecting me this year because all of the places i worked in the shade last year are getting sun constantly this year :)

• GAAlan
    15 years ago

I'd like to share some numbers for June alone to give an idea of the heat. Looking back over my weather records(began in 1997) for June, this one and June of 2000, share the distinction of both having had 11 of the first 19 days with highs of 90 or warmer. This year and 2000 were also the only years since 1997 with 90+ highs, during the first 19 days, numbering in the double digits. Also of sad, but certainly not surprising note, this June is starting out the driest of the last 6 years. So far I've recorded only 0.37". The next lowest amount for the first 19 days was last June with 1.29"!! So it seems June hasn't been this mean in a pretty long time!

• davidcf
    15 years ago

I just wish it would rain.

• razorback33
    15 years ago

The color of the sky is a good indicator of the intensity of the sun's rays.
    A deep blue color indicates that there is very little debris, such as dust, ash, moisture, smoke and other gasses present in the atmosphere. All of those absorb some of the sun's rays and reduces it's intensity upon reaching the earth's surface. When present, the sky's hue will be a lighter color blue and sometimes nearly white.
    Rb

• opal52
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Rb, very interesting. My husband has mentioned to me on a several occasions about the sky being clear blue this spring. We usually notice really clear blue skies around Sept/October, and in winter months.

So, do you think we can chalk this up to the price of gas?? I know for sure there are fewer cars on the road in our town. We live near the interstate and there are fewer cars travelling on it lately also. Fewer cars on the road, lower emissions. Lower emissions, less pollution, clearer skies but more intense sun.

I prefer less pollution. So guess I will have to adjust to the intense sun. (Like I have a choice.)

• vroomp
    15 years ago

I blame it all on the President! Although our current circular orbit around the sun combined with the increased carbon dioxide in our atmosphere is most likely responsible, I prefer to blame Bush.

• tsmith2579
    15 years ago

Blame it on Al Gore and the Democrats. LOL! They have fought for years to clean up the air. Now we are reaping the results. There is less particulate in the air to reflect and shade the earth. Those brilliant blue skies are an indication. Global warming is a result of our clean air policies.

Sponsored