Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Using Waorm Castings and other items in planting holes

Posted by Markshep 8a (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 27, 12 at 18:42

Anyone here use worm castings as fertilizer? I recently saw a farmer on craigslist selling it and plan to buy some for my tomato and pepper plants when I transplant. I figure to use 1 cup or so per hole. Any other reccommendations? I have read about powdered milk, egg shells, epsom salts (which I currently use and plan to use), baking soda, sugar and banana peels. Anyone have luck with any or all or something different? I have about 2 weeks before I will transplant my plants.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Using Waorm Castings and other items in planting holes

My recommendation is to checkout the sample and make your decision based on that. Do not make a large purchase the first time and ensure those are screened (I had the hardest time one time keeping up with all the hitchhikers (weeds) because the person didn't screen them well). By the way, I think you can't overdo when you are using organic solution such as worm castings.

(If you were to use about half to your soil mix but use the rest to brew tea and apply them on the plants (using a spray after taking it through strainer), that would be the best case scenario. :)

( To Brew - fill up a 5 Gal bucket, apply two cup worm cast, 2 table spoon molasses and run it 24 hours using a aquarium pump/airstone) - > I used it and ended up with 7-8 feet tall Tomato plants .. still enjoying ... :))

o
RE: Using Waorm Castings and other items in planting holes

Thank You for the response and tip! I was curious as to hwo much better the worm tea is compared to cow manure tea? Is it that much better?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here