Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
faeriegardenmum

A little late getting the garden prepared for planting

Besides peppers and tomatoes, and maybe cucumbers, is there anything else I can plant, even potatoes? Or should I save some energy and frustration and wait to plant for the later season, for beans, chard, peas,carrots beets, what else. Does planting later sometimes, mean you can miss the cycles of some of the pests?

Comments (17)

• yolos - 8a Ga. Brooks
    9 years ago

Here is a planting guide for GA. At the bottom it tells you how to adjust the planting dates based on location within GA.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ga Garden Planting Chart

• rosiew
    9 years ago

yolos, thanks for this helpful chart. I've printed and will try to find someplace to put it where I'll remember where it is! Ha.

• daisyjoy5
    9 years ago

This year has been kind of weird. I had beans that didn't germinate and just re-planted them a few days ago. I also planted some squash and zucchini from seed not quite two weeks ago and they are growing like crazy. I am certainly no expert gardener (yet!) but I don't see a problem planting whatever you want - it will grow or it won't. :)

• Stellabee
    9 years ago

Okra is still very good to plant right now and, if you pick the right variety, you should get quite a bit if you plant a nice big row.I get mine from Southern Exposure. They have a lot of varieties that do really well here in the humidity.
    Oh, and it's about time to start thinking about Fall tomatoes-ie. putting in varieties that do well in the cooler temps like Black Krim and other Russian varieties. Some cherries produce well into fall also...

• rosiew
    9 years ago

Thanks for these tips, Stellabee. I'm in Sugar Hill, Gwinnett County. Will get some okra to fill huge area where my other seeds - really special ones - didn't germinate. Grrrrrr.

Just planted cherry tomato, Sweet 100. Hope mine produce half as well as my daughters.

Rosie

• daisyjoy5
    9 years ago

My beans are already up! This second planting sprouted much sooner than the first round, and the bush beans that didn't come up at all last time are all up now. So all the beans are 100% germination at the moment, and everything seems to be growing a foot a day.
    My in-laws live in Gwinnett and just planted okra and tomatoes last Wednesday, so I'm guessing you will be good!

• pam_3
    9 years ago

Hmm...I took a look at that list. Doesn't look like I should try my cucumber seeds until August. Maybe I'll plant some other stuff then, and have a late summer salad garden.

• faeriegardenmum zone 6
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you Volos, did not have a chance to get back to it til now. Hoping I can still plant. Well, guess what I did not print the chart and they have taken it down. Pam, what cucumbers are you going to plant?

• rosiew
    9 years ago

I printed the chart. Title: Home Gardening Planting Chart. But just Googled it and it's not available. Write me if you need specific info.

Rosie

• yolos - 8a Ga. Brooks
    9 years ago

The chart I linked to above does not want to pull up now. It is titled Home Gardening Planting Chart and is UGA Cooperative Extension Bulletin 577. Maybe they will get it back up at some point.

Another chart I use that is just as good if not better is, "Vegetable Planting Chart", UGA Cooperative Extension Circular 963. Hopefully this one won't get moved.

Here is a link that might be useful: Vegetable Planting Chart

• yolos - 8a Ga. Brooks
    9 years ago

Here is a pdf file I scanned into the computer for the Home Gardening Planting Chart Bulletin 577. You can double click on the image, click on print preview, size to 125%, change to landscape and then if you want, print. It is a little fuzzy but can still be read.

This post was edited by yolos on Sat, Aug 2, 14 at 2:01

• faeriegardenmum zone 6
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well, I am finally back at it. For anyone, what is everybody planting now, not sure what I want to try to plant now? Also need to do some pruning of my smallish blue berry bushes, want to prune for better growth and shape, they are in a mixed border. Now that they are pretty much finished fruiting and starting to show new growth, I don't want to miss the window.

• yolos - 8a Ga. Brooks
    9 years ago

After this heat wave passes, I will transplant my Broccoli. Also trying Brussel sprout transplants again. I will start my lettuce seeds indoors next weekend. Also, planting onion seeds in a shaded seed bed that I will transplant into the garden in Dec. I am not sure when to plant my sugar peas, snap peas and carrots but it will be fairly soon.

I have to clean out some of the deteriorating summer crops this weekend to get ready to plant my fall garden next weekend.

• faeriegardenmum zone 6
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yolos~ Thank you, BTW, for finding the charts and especially for posting this one here, very helpful for quick reference concerning this thread. I got some Ferry Morse seeds about a month ago. I did find snow peas, but not sugar snaps, the snow peas take 72 days so that would be the end of Oct into November, for picking. the chart says peas not recommended. Both my green and yellow bush beans take about 50 days, I am a few days behind on those, but still planting. my straight 8 cucumbers take 63 days and still good for planting now. what kind of onions seeds are you planting? I just saw that North GA, which I am, should be two weeks earlier. still doing it, very small risk for the potential return. I have never planted this kind of a fall garden. Only garlic, onions, chard and strawberries. excited about this time.

• yolos - 8a Ga. Brooks
    9 years ago

Organic_gardenhag - Yea I know the chart says peas are not recommended. But I like to experiment and I have already filled my freezer with beans and pink eye purple hull peas. I planted English peas in the spring and my family loved them and they store well. Last year I planted English peas in the fall but once the pods set I had to cover with row cover on freezing nights. This year I am going to plant earlier. I have 6 different varieties of shelling and snap peas I am going to experiment with. They range from 58 to 70 days. I will germinate them inside in paper towel and zip lock bag, then sow in 6 packs and then transplant to the garden. My average first frost date is around Oct 28 so I may get some ready to harvest before I have to cover.

On the advice of a Ga gardener who is on this forum (farmerdilla) I purchased Granex 33 seeds. He said to plant them in flats or a seed bed in the shade in Sept. Then transplant to the garden in Dec. Since I have never been able to get onions to bulb planting them in the spring, I decided to take his advice. I also have Texas 1015y which another forum member advised and I picked up an intermediate day onion - Red Amposta - from Pike's and thought I would just try it out and see what comes.

I still have to order my garlic and shallots to be planted in Nov ???

I will also be planting the carrots and radishes next weekend. And lettuce with some type of shade cover.

• faeriegardenmum zone 6
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I want to plant today, did not think of your germination and planting method, cool. I am going away for the week of labor day, so I thought I would direct sow, and a neighbor will keep up the watering, just concerned about bunnies. Cant find my row cover, I was sure it came with me when we moved. Crazy how things like that can disappear. I think I will try the red onions, too. Who do you order your garlic and shallots from. The purple hull peas I have had are similar to black eyed peas, right? Do you know if we miss some of the pests, planting now?

• yolos - 8a Ga. Brooks
    9 years ago

I will probably order my garlic from Southern Exposure. If they have shallots, I will probably get them there also. Last year I got them from Pike's in early spring.

Yes, pink eye purple hull peas are similar to black eye peas. I pick them just as the pod changes to purple and eat them green. I do not wait until they dry. The only pest that bothered them were the aphids. Nothing else in the garden was attacked by aphids except the peas.

Yes, buy planting now you will miss some of the pests. You will still have them for a while but usually not as bad as in the spring or summer.

Forgot to mention that I will also be planting spinach.