Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pam_loves_2_garden

Saving My Dwarf Burford Holly recenty transplanted

Pam_loves_2_garden
12 years ago

Hello All:

I recently transplanted my Dwarf Burford Hollys that was originally planted 2 years ago. All the leaves on the 1st one turned brown. So, I dug around the root ball and poured a mixture of a pinch of miracle grow in a gallon of water around it. I then watered the top soil, mulched it and watered it again. Then I pruned the top & bottom a bit to stimulate growth. Does it has a chance for survival? The trunk still is green. The 2nd one is mostly green but I see some leaves beginning to brown in its center. I basically did the same for this one except prune it. Please help!

Comments (6)

• girlgroupgirl
    12 years ago

Their best chance of survival is for you to let them be and just water regularly and very deeply, once a week with a soaker hose, drip system..if you don't have those what works wonderfully well are some small holes in milk jugs and fill the milk jugs with water and let them drip slowly into the soil. This helps keep your root ball and surrounding area nice and moist.
    If the shrubs don't make it this summer (it's awfully hot to be transplanting anything right now), re-plant new ones in the fall.

• Iris GW
    12 years ago

Agree with ggg. Fertilizer does not help a stressed plant.

• Pam_loves_2_garden
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks girlgroupgirl & esh_ga! I called around and visited some nurseries and was told to give it some Superthrive or Lilly Miller Vitamin B1 Plant Starter and was told to keep the root ball moist. You are right esh_ga...I was told that the amount of Miracle Grow given anyways will not help or hurt the bush. I opted for the Lilly Miller Vitamin B1 Plant Starter since Lowes in my area doesn't sell the other. I was told to basically leave it alone aside from watering it once a day when the weather is very hot and use the LMVBPS stuff every other week until I see new growth or until it is strong enough to thrive on its own. I hope I see new growth because I don't know how to tell if it is strong enough to survive on its own. I'm a beginner gardner as you can tell. If push comes to shove and it doesn't recover by next fall, I will replant another as they are so beautiful to have in my front and backyards:-)

• Iris GW
    12 years ago

I will say that Hollies are super hardy and tolerant of abuse. The B1 plant starter will help with root growth. I think if you keep it hydrated then you have a good chance of it recovering.

• Pam_loves_2_garden
    Original Author
    12 years ago

My friend suggested that I scrape the trunk with a coin to see if it is still green and it is very green and moist both of them. Is that a good sign? I know time will tell but I just wanted to know your thoughts on it:-)

• Iris GW
    12 years ago

Well, depending on how recently, perhaps it has not had time to die just yet ... ;)

Sponsored
Franklin County's Remodeling & Handyman Services