Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dawggardner

Shoo Fly!

dawggardner
14 years ago

Flies are horrible this summer! They seem to swarm my back patio, and it's impossible to open the door without letting one zoom in the house. I have not planted anything different than in years past, no pooled water, no pets, etc. Just herbs, a few veggies, and some annual flowers. Anyone have non-toxic suggestions for fly control???

Comments (8)

• rosiew
    14 years ago

I've been using a non-toxic method - and probably look like a total wild woman doing it - use a fly swatter! I spent close to an hour in my bedroom with my swatter - killing maybe 40 of the nasty creatures.

I haven't seen fly populations like this for many years. Have probably swatted several hundred! Doors were left opened until I finally broke down and turned on the a.c. this week.

I hope someone can explain why we're seeing so many. Thought it might be from a load of trout compost, but don't think so.

Rosie, in Sugar Hill

• bagsmom
    14 years ago

Have you seen the commercials for the really, really gross flycatcher bag? I don't remember the catchy little name it has, but it is some sort of hanging ziploc looking bag with a liquid bait in it. You can hang it up for a ridiculously long time, IF you can stand seeing the bazillion dead flies floating in it. I think it is called Flies Away or Flies Be Gone. It is truly yucky, but I wonder if it works. My favorite part of the commercial is when they show all the many places you can hang the trap. One of them is 'by picnic tables!' Eeeeewwwwwww. Like I want to see that while I eat!!!! :)

Here is a link that might be useful: flies away

• nwgatreasures
    14 years ago

Why not just craft a piece of fabric around it so that it still works but you don't have to look at the contents? Seems a perfect solution. Perhaps like a drawstring bag that fits?
    dora

• karma4111
    14 years ago

I think it is in some way related to the amount of rain fall that we have had in the past year. I have noticed that the amount of fire flys have increased as well. When you look into te woods at night it is very "sparkly".

• bagsmom
    14 years ago

On the fireflies, I have noticed that too! It is so beautiful! Unfortunately, the mosquitoes seem to have increased too. Yuck!

• ribbit32004
    14 years ago

I'll loan you my 5 yr old and his cymbals. He walks around my garden crashing the cymbals over the flies hoping to smush them.

I told my neighbor it was a ritual for a good harvest and he was exorcizing the bad vegetable spirits from the garden. The neighbor didn't care so much after I gave him four cucumbers.

• dawggardner
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the replies everyone. Must be all the rain we're getting this year. Seems like every time we open the back door one of those boogers is just waiting to fly into the house. I was hoping to hear about plants/etc that they may not like, but sounds like I'm just going to have to put up with 'em.

• satellitehead
    14 years ago

What ever happened to hanging a ziploc bag full of water up? Isn't this the oldest method known to man in enticing flies away?