Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
where to buy sweet potatoes?

Posted by Choosymother none (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 19, 14 at 20:02

Hi Everybody!

I'm a little late in my planting and I can't seem to find sweet potatoes anywhere....

I've tried around Buford, and I could easily go to Lawrenceville.

Has anybody noticed any for sale in the nurseries?

HD and Lowes aren't carrying them anymore this season, and neither are a couple of local nursuries.

I'm so disappointed but then again, it's an opportunity to grow some winter squashes this year.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: where to buy sweet potatoes?

You'd probably have to mail order them at this point. NC growers were late this year getting their slips started because of the cold winter. That's where my guy gets his. But LA growers might be out by now since they might have been able to start earlier.

I know Park Seed sells them. or at least they resell them from someone else.

They take 90 to 100 days to grow to full size. You might still have time to grow them. They might not be quite as large as they would be otherwise.

o

Hey!

For the record, they're REALLY easy to sprout at home. Buy yourself some toothpicks, some disposable plastic cups and a few sweet potatoes.

Slice the bottom of the sweet potato at an angle so some of the flesh on the inside is exposed. Stick a few toothpicks in it so that when you fill the cut with water half-way and submerge the potato, it doesn't sink (the toothpicks are basically holding the potato in place in the cup). Place the potato somewhere that's warm and sunny, wait a few weeks. The potato will start to grow roots and soon a shoot will protrude out the top.

:)

o

I grew all of my sweet potatoes from cuttings this year. They growing like weeds!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here