Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jmzms

Daylilies - not enough sun

jmzms
15 years ago

I have several daylilies that I purchased at the grower's outlet. Finally got around to planting them about a week or so ago. Apparently, the area I've planted them in does not receive as much sunlight as I originally thought.

I can move them elsewhere, but at this point with the heat of summer, am I better off leaving them in the ground until fall? Will they survive with limited sun (as in mostly filtered sun with a couple of hours - maybe - of direct sun in the late afternoon)? I'm okay without blooms, just don't want the plants to die.

Thanks.

~Michelle

Comments (2)

• satellitehead
    15 years ago

as always, i dunno if this helps because apparently everything i do goes against what i read in books and magazines or hear from the nurseries ;), but ...

on memorial day, we planted 7-9 daylilles (i forget) up front. they get 3 hours filtered sun in the morning, 1 hour (max) of noonish sun, and a couple get filtered sun just before dusk. when we bought them, they had zero buds on them. nearly all of them have bloomed at this point, some of them repeat blooming several times, most are still flowering and have been for two weeks now.

with that said, we have five daylilles at our other property two doors down that are 3yrs old, and are stuck behind two gigantic knockout roses (4'w x 6't) and under a 25'+ tall oak tree. they're blooming profusely, and apparently have no water issues with being under an oak tree/behind knockout roses....

long story short, i'm skeptical about the light requirements and how they associate with blooming of daylillies, honestly. i can take pics of the location if you want to see - you'll be baffled, that latter few is nearly totally shaded, at most getting filtered sun (maybe) during the morning hours up until 2pm...and they're blooming fine.

i would say leave them where they are rather than risk them. see what they do before you move them. personal opinion based on my experience so far, take it or leave it.

i dunno how much i really buy shade/part sun/part shade/shade constraints that you find on plant labels. granted - with my ninebark, i clearly see what sun vs shade does to leaf color, but growth isn't impeded and blooming isn't grossly impeded. other thing - like my autumn ferns...doing gret in full sun. so weird.

• bmmalone
    15 years ago

i have day lilies planted in full sun and also in shade, the ones planted in the shade (maybe filtered sun for a couple of hours a day) always flower first and the plants always seem healthier and not so stressed. They seem to bloom for longer too. I also haves roses, iris and butterfly bushes in the same area and they do fine too.

Sponsored