Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
anney_gw

Source for fresh Georgia peaches?

anney
13 years ago

I think peaches are in season now, and this year I want to get some fresh ones! Not the ones in grocery stores.

Does anyone know where I can buy a bushel or so? I'm in Canton, GA.

Comments (12)

• oldmayfly
    13 years ago

My daughter goes to the neighborhood farmers markets here in Atlanta. But I don't think she has seen any peaches yet, though it is almost time for them.

Just a suggestion, if you have even a small yard, this fall put in a peach tree. They are easy to grow and you can buy standard, dwarf, or even mini. You probably won't get a bushel next year, but it is fun to pick your own, even if your tree doesn't supply all the peaches you need.

• girlgroupgirl
    13 years ago

Peaches are here at the farm market! There's a peach farm near Warner Robbins and the folks bring peaches from there. Delicious.

• anney
    Original Author
    13 years ago

OMF

Thanks. If I'm not mistaken, some of the grocery stores carry local peaches, though I don't know which ones. I suppose I'll check first on the farmers' markets. There's a Cagle's Farmers' Market not far from here.

I'd LOVE to plant a peach tree in the yard this fall, something freestone!

• anney
    Original Author
    13 years ago

GGG

Which farm market? The big one is DeKalb Farmer's Market, but it's miles and miles from here! However, I might be willing to take a long drive to get some fresh ones.

• ladywindsurfer
    13 years ago

Stopped at the DFM on my way home Friday, but didn't see any local peaches. Kroger advertised GA peaches, but they were very small. Not the type I like.

• anney
    Original Author
    13 years ago

LWS

Yes, I may have to wait a few weeks. I thought peaches became available this month, but my Starks' catalogue lists early peaches as being available in July.

• Iris GW
    13 years ago

When I go to Kroger (or Publix), I make sure I pick the ones that say "Lane" on the label (and it has be #4403 to be the southern ones). They are the best. I have found that the Georgia ones are smaller than the ones from South Carolina (but sweeter to me). As the season progresses, "southern peaches" will be replaced by "eastern peaches" and that means they are from NJ. Not as good. But still better than California peaches which do not travel well and test meal-y. I have had fresh California peaches at a market in California and they are delicious; I don't know why they are so bad once they get here but I refuse to buy them here now.

• faeriegardenmum zone 6
    13 years ago

what about organic sources?

• girlgroupgirl
    13 years ago

Our East Atlanta Farmers Market (it's too far, not far from Dekalb market) has 'em. They bring them from the peach farm near Warner Robbins. They will have peaches until August. The same folks take them to the Peachtree Market on Saturdays and the Cathedral Of St. Phillip on Peachtree Road
    I'm sure the State Farmers Market has some as well.
    To learn more about local farmers markets: http://www.pickyourown.org/GAfarmersmarkets.htm

Also check out the Georgia Organics web page. If anyone is attempting organic peaches they will be listed there. Organic peaches are incredibly difficult. The Southeast is just not really a great home for peaches. They dislike humidity.

• wohlibuli
    13 years ago

Dickeys Farm, Musella Ga
    Lane and Pearsons Farms, Fort Valley Ga

• vicki7
    13 years ago

Jaemor Farms has peaches and white nectarines now. They are on Hwy. 365/985 north of Gainesville. It's a long drive from Atlanta, but if anyone is going to be in the area anyway, it is well worth stopping by. They usually have a great selection of all kinds of veggies and fruits.
    Vicki

• girlgroupgirl
    13 years ago

Pearsons is where we are getting the peaches from. They've had fresh peaches for a month and will continue with various varieties into August. Their peaches are absolutely delicious, perfectly ripe, and ready now!

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH