Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hydrangea has never bloomed

Posted by georgiagirl 9GA (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 17, 08 at 20:33

Each summer my husband and I visit the beautiful Lake Junaluska in North Carolina where they have PeeGee hydrangeas planted all around the lake. They are stunning in their beauty in August. Seven years ago in nearby Maggie Valley down the road from Lake Junaluska at a reputable nursery I purchased one that they claimed was the same hydrangea. It is now six feet tall, has the graceful, flowing limbs, but has never bloomed. The leaves are the same, but much smaller, than the Pee Gee at Lake Junaluska. It is planted on the southwest corner of my house and gets about five or six hours of sun a day. I fertilize and water it as needed. I have several other varieties of hydrangeas that bloom beautifully. The PeeGee has never had a flower bud. Why do you suppose the Pee Gee won't bloom?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hydrangea has never bloomed

I would like to know the same thing. I have five of them babies and have only had one bloom out of all five plants. I hope after having them for three years they will give me some pretty blooms this year. I check them weekly to see if they are putting on any buds even though I know they aren't suppose to bloom til around August I think. Good luck with yours. Judy

o

I take it that you are not pruning the plant back to the ground every year? Many varieties of hydrangea will only bloom on "old wood" from the previous year(s)

o

I have not pruned it. It is now 6 years old, and I don't know what to do with it. It is now about 6 feet tall, and about 5 ft wide. It's limbs flow gracefully, just as they should. It is a beautiful green shrub in the summer, sheds its leaves after the first frost, and is the last of the hydrangeas to leaf out in the spring. Do you think it is too hot in Coastal Georgia for the PeeGee? Perhaps it needs a colder winter than we have here. I don't know anyone else in my area who has one. I asked at several nurseries and they all say they don't know why it doesn't bloom.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here