Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
royal empress tree

Posted by Carmie72 8 (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 11, 14 at 20:36

I planted royal empress tree seedlings about 3 to 3 1/2 weeks ago. How long before it will begin to grow, or do anything?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: royal empress tree

You shouldn't plant them at all. They are invasive in Georgia.

Here is a link that might be useful: Invasive info

o

I hate to say it, Carmie, but Esh is right. They are weedy & trashy trees. They reseed like mad. There aren't any mature trees immediately near me but I still fight the pesky & fast-growing seedlings. They also have weak wood and can fall apart when they get large, which is particularly bad if it's near your house. I'd recommend returning the plants to the place where you bought them if possible. Sorry for the bad news, but welcome to Gardenweb! :)

o

I don't have problems with mine and this is what I was told by a nursery owner.
'This year’s Empress Trees are in short supply. Recent publicity and recommendations from TV shows like Oprah have fueled demand.

Just beware that not all Empress Trees are the same. Some nurseries use wild seed that doesn't grow as quickly and can be invasive. Others use growth inhibitors to keep their trees smaller for shipping. This can stay in the tree for several months, giving you disappointing results.

Fast Growing Trees Nursery uses proven stock that's non-invasive, faster growing, and hardier... your tree arrives ready for explosive growth.'

Here is a link that might be useful: royalempresstree

o

Yeah, there's no such thing as a non-invasive one. Anyone trying to tell you that is pulling one over on you. Especially a nursery looking to sell you something!

o

Rosajoe wrote, "Fast Growing Trees Nursery uses proven stock that's non-invasive, faster growing, and hardier... your tree arrives ready for explosive growth."

That is one more load of poop! If you believe that Rosajoe, I have a bridge with your name on it!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here