Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Crabgrass Problem

Posted by DanR33 Georgia (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 8, 13 at 21:23

First time poster who has develop a little crabgrass problem in my bermuda yard. From what I have read, crabgrass loves moisture, and this problem has most likely popped up because of having heavy rain for the past few days. My yard has not been overtaken by crabgrass, but there are multiple problem spots. What is the best way to approach this issue? I plan on using a crabgrass pre-emergent when pre-emergent season approaches, but what should I do in the meantime? Is there a spray that can be used for spot treatment? Thanks in advance for the help. I am a younger first-time home owner and I am trying my best to understand the complex world of lawn management.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Crabgrass Problem

Hand pulling would be very effective. Crabgrass is an annual grass so once you pull it, it's gone (be sure you get the whole plant). Make sure any that you have doesn't go to seed (next year's problem).

o

Thanks for the advice. One more question, how do I make sure that it does not go to seed?

o

For the most part, keep your lawn mowed, especially in the summer when it starts to put out its flowers (which then turn into seeds after they are pollinated by the wind).

As you wander around the yard, pull any one that you see (or as many as you can), especially the ones that appear to be putting out the flower structure.

o

Esh's advice is dead on right. It's fairly shallow rooted, at least early in the season and so easy to spot even tiny ones amid Bermuda. No need for chemicals.

HTH

o

Thanks to everyone for all of the feedback. I have started to walk my yard daily and spend some time pulling the crabgrass. I am seeing more and more small areas where it is now popping up so it may be more of a job than I was anticipating, but hopefully working on it every day I will soon be able to get a good grasp on the problem. I have also started to mow my lawn at the highest setting in order to hopefully shade out future growth.

One more question, in some of the areas the crabgrass has already choked out some of the bermuda, would it be beneficial for me to go behind after pulling the crabgrass and plant some bermuda seeds?

o

Dan, first, no need to reseed, IMO. Bermuda spreads like crazy. And you'd have to mark all areas which you seeded so you could water them to get germination. Not worth it.

Crabgrass will continue to pop up, but probably only this year because YOU are going to rogue all of it out so none can reseed.

Keep up the good work.

Rosie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here