Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
esh_ga

I feel invaded

Iris GW
13 years ago

A few weeks ago I noticed a seedling about 4-5 inches high near the mailbox. I have Sumac naturally in the yard and I thought "oh great, here's a sumac seedling, some of my native plant-loving friends will want this." So I potted it up and gently staked it straight with a bamboo stick and twine. Watered it faithfully through this hot weather. It was doing GREAT.

I looked at it this evening and noticed a notch at the base of the leaflet. It ISN'T a sumac. It's a horrible, horrible Tree of Heaven! Only those have that distinctive notch.

I feel invaded, violated and betrayed! We have these trees on the road at the front of the subdivision. I knew that it had popped in at least one of my neighbor's yards. But to be taken in like that .... I guess that is what bothers me the most. I failed myself.

But in all fairness, baby plants don't always look like the parents. And if you see a plume of smoke coming from my general direction tomorrow morning, that's me - setting this blasted plant on FIRE.

Here is a link that might be useful:

Comments (6)

• girlgroupgirl
    13 years ago

We have THOUSANDS of these growing on the hill at church. Luckily it is not a huge area, but it is killing me trying to keep up with them. They STINK when you pull at them.

We had a HUGE tree of heaven in our front yard, and thankfully it was removed by the tornado. That thing STANK up the entire street when it came down and when they cut it up. We ended up digging out all the soil from where the tree grew and had it removed (to fill under a house), and swapped for several feet of better soil in an effort to get rid of the seeds and roots. Not a lot would grow in the direct vicinity of that tree, except other weeds. Tree of SATAN!

• lsst
    13 years ago

I feel for you!
    We have been fighting them for 11 years.
    I just found a two foot tall one growing in my veggie garden.
    I swear it was not there a week ago. LOL

• nwgatreasures
    13 years ago

I don't know why i'm just seeing this post; however, I want to say THANK YOU for posting this because it will save me from anything disaterous with this plant/tree.
    ....and if it's any consolation, the way that you have NOT failed many of us here should overpower this one small hiccup on yourself :)

Dora

• Iris GW
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for allowing me the hiccup, Dora! ;)

What hot and yucky days these are lately. Going outside is like stepping into a furnace. We finally got some rain last night in the form of thunderstorms. I had to trade rain for a working phone line - it got knocked out in the process. A fair trade, I think!

Sunday morning it was so dry that I decided to drag the hose around and water some of my things, especially the stuff in pots. I had no idea that one of the pots contained a yellow jacket nest! When the water from the hose hit that pot, they all came out!! Fortunately it only took one sting for me to realize what was happening and I was able to dash back in the house. Who knew that dry weather could be so painful? ;)

So the rain was especially welcome. Hope y'all are faring well. Dora - glad to hear of your success with the rain barrel.

• nwgatreasures
    13 years ago

Yikes on the sting!!

That would be deadly around our house :(

Re: Rain - The weather said 50% chance of rain today and I'm still waiting for it to rain.....I was hoping it would rain during the earlier part of the day to water things down and then be dry after 5 today when our church has a HUGE block party/jazz dinner.

I haven't been able to do anything in our yard for the past week, I've got a rib out of place and the chiropractic adjustments only last about 6 hours before it begins to hurt again and can't lift my arm. No gardening for me until this passes......

Just call me whiney,
    Dora

• GAAlan
    13 years ago

That dastardly plant was trying to sneak in wearing a disguise! Good ID tip to help separate them. One other thing I use to pin down Tree-of-Heaven is smell. TOH stinks when bruised or crushed. I don't know if this has ever come to fruition, but I read somewhere years ago someone had the idea of using an extract from TOH as a roundup-like weedkiller. It would certainly seem possible to use it as a deer repellent with that smell!

Sponsored
Columbus Premier Design-Build and General Contractor