Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
grogreen

Quest on watering with chlorinated pool water

grogreen
17 years ago

I'm looking ahead at possibilities for watering should my county enact a full outdoor watering ban as some other counties have already done. As such, in the back I have an area that has melephant ears, canna's, a few palms, and some shrubs and I could move the backwash hose from my pool and water them with the pool water (backwashing is a not an option, it's mandatory to keep the pool in optimal condition). So my question to you is: how harmful is chlorinated water for plants? Given the options - no water or cholorinated water - which is the lesser of the two evils? Any ideas on this?

Comments (8)

• buford
    17 years ago

It would depend on the level of chlorine. My neighbors pool backwash comes into our yard and I don't notice any ill effects.

• sharon_ga_zone7
    17 years ago

Good idea to plan ahead... what about picking a couple of plants & watering them now w/the pool water to see if there is any difference? Before you are forced into the situation.

Also, what about filling a kiddie pool w/the backwash to let the chlorine evaporate? I don't know how practical that would be for you.

• Tricia
    17 years ago

Do it before you shock -when your chlorine is lowest. My tap water generally tests higher in chlorine than my pool water. Check it out for yourself - yours may too.

• chezron
    17 years ago

I might be wrong, but doesn't some (or all) of the chlorine volatilize if left sitting for a day or so? Maybe you could figure some holding tank method, to leave chlorinated water in, before applying to plants. Although, a few years ago when we had a watering ban I applied shower and sink water to plants, with seemingly, no ill effects. I think they were just happy to get some water!

• grogreen
    Original Author
    17 years ago

HI, thanks for all the replies..filling one of those kiddie pools and letting some of the C burn off for a day seems ideal, and, it lets me put the water where I want it! Wow, I've just found a way to save on my water bill even when there isn't a water ban, money saved is money earned, fantastic! Thanks again. :))

• sharon_ga_zone7
    17 years ago

Gro,

I'm glad you liked the kiddie pool idea. After I wrote that I thought, how long does it take for chlorine to evaporate? You might want some mosquito doughnuts if your yard is anything like ours!

Good luck,
    Sharon

• b_fowler
    17 years ago

I was very happy to see this subject here. I live in So. Cal. (Solvang) and we have enormous water bills due to some questionable handling of the State Water deal that came in.....last month hit $305.......ouch! If we are gone and the house is closed the base is still $75 before use. We have 96 sprinkler heads through 2/3 acre. I am in the process of changing any unneeded sprinkler heads to drip as sprinklers are great for lawns but notorious water wasters elsewhere.

What I want to do is tap down into my backwash pipe that heads down to the street. We have a narrow strip of orchard with 15 fruit trees and grass next to the driveway and the backwash is buried through the orchard. Seems like we could tap into the pipe and when running backwash it could be watering the fruit trees instead of going down the street.

People use gray water systems (w/out soft water), and I agree that chlorine levels can be higher from the tap than what's in your pool. I did reduce the amt. of backwashing needed by getting a robotic cleaner that filters better than my sand filter and using a cover to greatly reduce pool water evaporation.

So unless someone can really attest to backwash water not being useable, I'd say this would be a great idea. Obviously people doing slight saltwater pools etc. should steer clear....and yes, don't shock your pool than backwash immediately afterwards although I think the chlorine level would be safe within a day or two of shocking.

• wjrward
    13 years ago

I have a questions. Is it ok to water plants with water from a salt water pool?? Is the salt to high in the water to water my plants??