Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sdinenno

pineapple guava

sdinenno
14 years ago

Does anyone in here have experience growing pineapple guava (Feijoa sellowiana)? I need to know if I can expect it to be hardy in the Gwinnett County area (about 25 miles NW of Atlanta).

Comments (14)

• satellitehead
    14 years ago

according to messages on the Atlanta Fruits yahoo group, it will be hardy for you in our area.

• girlgroupgirl
    14 years ago

Yep, my friend grows them...I'm waiting on mine - as soon as we have a place to plant them, in they will go!!!

• jerryngeorgia31557
    14 years ago

I am from South Florida and grew them there, but found they were not hardy even here in SE Georgia. Just my opinion.

• satellitehead
    14 years ago

Rob, over on the aforementioned group, has had one in his yard for upwards of 9 years and it's still kicking, has had minimal leaf drop, which is a fact not an opinion ;)

He lives immediately around Atlanta.

• girlgroupgirl
    14 years ago

Satellite, we have the same friend :)

• satellitehead
    14 years ago

he's not our only friend in common. i think you also know Bob M, a lawyer that lives just a hop, skip and a jump away from the Holy Comforter. i'm still hugely surprised we've never bumped into each other.

(or maybe we have, just didn't realize it!!)

• davidcf
    14 years ago

For the person posting poor performance of guavas in Ga, perhaps you are referring to "true" Guavas, which are essentially tropical? Pineapple Guava is another genus and is not a "true" Guava, and is considered cold hardy to at least zone 8. I don't recall ever seeing Pineapple Guavas in so Fla, but saw the occasional, and always unattended (taste not as ambrosial as original planters had hoped?), true guava.

• Bamateacha
    14 years ago

My pineapple guava thrives with little attention here (Columbus, Georgia area).

• jerryngeorgia31557
    14 years ago

Sorry for my earlier post. I was wrong. Can you eat these? In SW Florida we ate them and they made great jelly. If you can, can someone tell me where and how to get some? Thanks in advance.

• flossieann
    14 years ago

I have one here in south Ga. It's seen it's way through two winters (last year it went down to 29F) and lived happily through it but I have to say it's a slow grower. I really don't believe that it's much bigger now than it was when I planted it two years ago.Part of the plant died off the first winter but the majority of it lived even when it was that young and tender and this year it looks very healthy although, as I said, not very big!

• jerryngeorgia31557
    13 years ago

I would really love to have some seed of these. When we lived in SW FL we would make jelly and it is the best in the world. If you have any seed I would appreciate your getting back to me.

• bradkairdolf
    13 years ago

Does anyone know if any of the local nurseries carry them? I've been keeping my eyes open for one for a while but no luck so far.

• jay_7bsc
    13 years ago

I've grown pineapple guava for several years in the northwestern corner of South Carolina (Zone 7b). During the past exceptionally cold winter, the plant sustained considerable leaf burn, but is now releafing vigorously. I don't know whether it will bloom and produce fruit this year, or not. It may be using up most of its energy replacing its leaves. According to what I've read about pineapple guava, it will produce fruit as a solitary plant but will fruit more heavily if it has a paramour nearby.

• girlgroupgirl
    13 years ago

Not locally. I ordered mine mail order from edible landscaping online and it arrived at a beautiful size! Lovely plant, so healthy.

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio