Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nwgatreasures

Purple Crepe Myrtles

nwgatreasures
13 years ago

Took MARTA yesterday from the Chamblee station and on the way there, I saw some crepe myrtles that were blooming purple.

Any idea what the name of these are?

Dora

Comments (6)

• girlgroupgirl
    13 years ago

Hello Dora:
    I love this website about crepes. Nice photos and info!

Here is a link that might be useful: Faniks crepe myrtle varieties

• nwgatreasures
    Original Author
    13 years ago

GGG,
    Thank you SO much for that site.
    I think I'm going to have to go back and examine those that I saw near the MARTA station to figure out what they are.

The color of their blooms was so vibrant and such a beautiful color of purple that I've got to have them in my new landscape that we'll do in the front yard this fall.

That site really has good information on it. I am so appreciative :)
    Dora

• girlgroupgirl
    13 years ago

Well, I want some more of the pink ones. I tried using this site to match colors and what they said was "vibrant pink" seems more red to me (but I think they only go buy the common descriptions) and it's not quite the pink I had wanted. I want a pink that will look great with lantana. Not a mauve pink, not a watermelon or coral pink but a PINK pink (without being too red), lol. And I want a small tree, some nice sizes for around the patio with three stems each.

• nwgatreasures
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Like magenta pink/fuschia?

We have some along our driveway that are magenta/fuschia and they are gorgeous!
    I went back through my notebook to see if I could find exactly what kind they are but I don't see where I wrote the name and can't budget the time right now to sit and sift.

The ones that I'm referring to are some of the BEST growing and easy to care for investment plants that we made for the return that we've gotten in the 3 years they've been in the ground.
    They have something to offer every single season. My only regret is that I only got 4 and not 5 (odd # in the landscape)

Dora

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    13 years ago

For more reliable info about crape myrtle cultivars, you might should use the correct (more widely accepted, anyway) spelling when you Google. Almost all knowledgeable/reliable sources will spell crape with an "a". The Crape Myrtle Society, almost all university and educational sources, as well as almost all botanical gardens and arboretums spell it with an "a". Using the "e"-spelling may turn up less-reliable/less-informed sources. Sometimes just one letter can make a big difference in a Google search.

• girlgroupgirl
    13 years ago

I just checked with the place I bought the tree from. I ordered a Sioux and I'm pretty sure I ended up with Tuscarora. The more hot pink is the one I want, you are right Dora. That's OK. I'm sure I can find a place for the one I have and try for a Sioux or two next time!

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH