Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chezron

Does anyone grow Ligularia?

chezron
14 years ago

Do you grow Ligularia successfully? What conditions does this plant like?

Comments (5)

• razorback33
    14 years ago

Which species/cultivar are you considering?
    We have successfully grown Ligularia dentata 'Desdemona' and L. tussilaginea & cultivars 'Argentea', 'Aureomaculata' for about 20 years. Cultivars 'Cristata' & 'Kagami Jishi' were added about 5-6 years ago and are also doing well.

Ligularia stenocephala 'The Rocket' and L. przewalskii failed to survive for more than a few years. They seem to require more moisture than the above listed species/cultivars.

All like a shady location, in moisture retentive soil. I haven't determined if soil composition makes any material difference in their performance. Seedlings seem to thrive almost anywhere. But they are all green, darn it!

Ligularia tussilaginea (sometimes listed as Farfugium japonica) is somewhat tender in my Zone and I usually protect the cultivars when temperatures are predicted below 10°F.

All of the one's we grow have those yellow ray-flowers in late summer, that many gardeners don't like. But there are plenty of other plants blooming, with different colors and as long as the bees and butterflies don't mind, neither do we!
    You might give them a try, 'Variety is the Spice of Life' (Proverb)

Rb

• mayland
    14 years ago

I planted Ligularia dentata "Desdemona" last summer in a shady spot. The soil is not very moist there, but its doing fine so far without too much watering. It has not flowered yet -- maybe next year?! I think I bought it from Bluestone Perennials.

This year, I have planted Ligularia stenocephala "The Rocket", and Ligularia tussilaginea "Aureomaculata" (Leopard Plant -- the one with yellow spots on leaves). These have even more shade and the soil is very moist. The Rocket was only planted a few weeks ago and is flopping after a couple of days without water, so I'm having to baby that a bit at the moment.

I would really love to plant Farfugium tussilaginea "Gigantea" (Tractor Seat plant) -- Rb, have you tried this one? There is an enormous one at the Atl Botanical Gardens, which looks fabulous.

I have seen a couple of Ligularia cultivars at my local Ace (i bought my Leopard plant there), so they may be worthwhile checking.

• razorback33
    14 years ago

mayland....
    I passed on 'Gigantea'. Wasn't even mildly interested in paying the asking price for it!
    I haven't seen any published information regarding it's ploidy (chromosome count), but I suspect it's a tetraploid version of the species. With all of the green seedlings I have around, I may have one appear in the garden someday!

There are several other cultivars that interest me, such as 'Kinkan', 'Shishi Botan', 'Kaimen Dake' & 'Ryuto', that I may one day try in the garden. No immediate plans, though.
    Rb

• chezron
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks, I think I will try Ligularia dentata 'Desdemona.' Although thinking about a "tractor-seat" plant totally cracks me up.

• ladywindsurfer
    14 years ago

There's a Ligularia tussilaginea 'Jitsuko's Star', that has interesting double flowers (per photos). (Named for Ozzie Johnson's late wife, Jitsuko).
    Haven't found it locally in any of my nursery visits.
    Probably is a collectors plant.

Sponsored
Third-Generation Family-Owned Masonry Supplier in Virginia