Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
georgiahomegarden

My first corn harvest this season

georgiahomegarden
12 years ago

Here is a post of my first corn harvest this year. I am so excited, does anyone else have corn stories to share?

Here is a link that might be useful: My corn post on my blog

Comments (7)

• rosiew
    12 years ago

I WISH I had a corn story to share. Y'all have done a great job!

Rosie, Sugar Hill

• georgiahomegarden
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks RosieW, I had to really baby this stuff as the heat and drought was tough this spring. I hope we get more rain these next few months.

Did you plant any corn this year?

Here is a link that might be useful: My Garden Blog

• rosiew
    12 years ago

No corn. I need to convert more area of my piss poor backyard soil into veggie growing space. Having great results with my straw bale tomatoes. How late could corn be planted? I do have a bit of space left.

We lived in central New Jersey years ago and had great corn. Would also buy a fresh bushel of Silver Queen, soak the whole bushel in brine, then roast in a pit we dug, covering the corn with wet burlap bags. Talk about good eating! Beer and corn and bowls of melted butter, that's all we offered.

Rosie, who is going to read your blog as soon as I post this.

• girlgroupgirl
    12 years ago

Nice haul of corn!!

A few years ago, after the tornado at our house we were looking for a way to grow something tall enough that our neighbors had some space between our lot and theirs. My DH who has never grown anything on his own before spent two whole days preparing a 12x10' plot so diligently. It was hard, hot work and he started in early June. Then he planted his heirloom corn seeds and we had a beautiful crop of corn. The neighbors had a little feeling of enclosure (and a taste of things to come)....and we were able to eat well in a year that was a bit financially tough for us because of the huge payouts we had to make because of the tornado.
    Since then we've not planted corn, but we will again, someday!!

• georgiahomegarden
    Original Author
    12 years ago

RosieW - According to the data I have, corn can be planted through July, but I think you could even go into August if you live in mid to south GA. October is normally still very hot where I am.

girlgroupgirl - Thanks and nice story, there is something very rewarding about growing corn. It is such a versatile vegetable.

Here is a link that might be useful: My garden blog

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    12 years ago

I enjoyed reading your blog about corn! I haven't planted corn because we are rural and have lots of animals to deal with all the time. Unless I enclose the garden with top fencing, raccoons would destroy it all.

• georgiahomegarden
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks bumblebeez. I am with you, if I lived in the country I wouldn't fool with corn either because of the deer and racoons. All we have is squirrels and they haven't messed with it yet. And if they do, my pellet gun can take care of that.

Here is a link that might be useful: My blog

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH