Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
'Dog Days of Summer'

Posted by old_man_by_the_sea Z8/9 (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 31, 08 at 0:35

A period of summer, coined in ancient times, said to be the hottest period of the season in the Northern Hemisphere.
The Old Farmer's Almanac lists it as the 40 days, occurring between July 3 & August 11.
Once believed to be caused by the confluence of the sun and the "Dog Star", Sirius (in the constellation Canis), the brightest star in the night sky.
Popularly believed to be an evil time "when the seas boiled, wine turned sour, dogs grew mad, and all creatures became languid, causing to man burning fevers, hysterics, and phrensies" - Bradys Clavis Calendarium, 1813

Don't know that any of that still occurs in modern times, but the heat does seem to limit some outdoor activities, especially in the garden. Mine is on auto-pilot, until I can work there, without having to retreat inside every couple of hours to rehydrate and shower! Even the weeds get a reprieve.

Dog Days, bright and clear,
indicate a happy year
But when accompanied by rain
for better times, our hopes are vain
/unknown/

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 'Dog Days of Summer'

Brings back wonderful memories. My father was a farmer, and he always announced when dog days had arrived. He always said that during dog days, it rains more often. He also said the snakes are out looking for winter homes. Seems like there are other things that are supposed to happen during dog days, but I have now forgotten them. Thanks for bringing back the memory.

o

I just wish it would rain.

o

• Posted by shot 8 - GA (My Page) on
    Wed, Aug 6, 08 at 7:06

GeorgiaGirl, nice to know your father was in such an honorable profession.
Sores won't heal and mockingbirds don't sing during dog days.

Shot

o

• Posted by shot 8 - GA (My Page) on
    Thu, Aug 7, 08 at 8:49

WOOT! We got a tenth of an inch of rain last night! It was enough to settle the dust so I took that opportunity to mow down the butterbeans this morning before the 100 degree later in the day.

Shot

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here