Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cyrus_gardner

Planning to Plant Fall Crop

cyrus_gardner
14 years ago

Summer/warm weather crops are in full swing now. Tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers, herbs etc. love this kind of weather.

But sooner or later it will get cooler. So the question is : when sould we start planting fall crops?

Is it too early now to start from seeds directly in the garden?

I have already sown some cilantros , hoping that by the time they take off, it will start cooling off.

What are your plans? When are you going to plant your fall crops in zones 7 and 8, in GA?

Cyrus

Comments (25)

• josieoh-05
    14 years ago

Glad you asked about fall crops. I logged on to ask the same question. Am planning on some greens: chard, collards, mustart, spinach. I figuredd that late Aug. would be a good time. Does that sound about right? Having a good summer crop, but never to early to plan.
    Thanks josieoh-05

• girlgroupgirl
    14 years ago

Here is one link:
    http://apps.caes.uga.edu/news/gpstorypage.cfm?storyid=3491

Here's a great article for Mid/South Georgians: http://chronicle.augusta.com/stories/082799/fea_223-5470.000.shtml

This blog, someone planted hers already http://amirasblogberry.blogspot.com/2009/06/garden-fall-crops-too-early.html - personally, I think it's way too early for my own fall garden to be seeded. I haven't even got the 2nd crop of summer veggies all in yet!!!

I plan to start my fall garden in mid August - I tend to grow things all year long since my garden is a heat sink. In the winter I just tent the beds and keep on growing!

Our climates vary so much here in Georgia, what you really need to do is get the first frost date over the last few years and count back from there using your seed packet days to harvest columns as a good guide.

• cyrus_gardner
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Since I did not get any suggestions, I started my fall crop planting today, anyway: radishes, garden cress , red mustard greens.

I am sprouting my potatoes and rooting some tomato cuttings. I have also planted cilantros.
    I will plant Big Korean/Chines radishe in couple of weeks.
    Also, tomorrow I am going to plant aurgula and salad mustards, and some lettuce. I hope that by the time they germinate and grow little bit, the weather will start cooling off. Right now my gourds and melons(small Korean) are loving this weather.I have some very nice swan and bottle and a lot of ornamental gourds.
    Also will have some late summer cucumbers. How about some leaf dills for fall? I will rethink about broccolies and beets. The problem is that I don't have a place for a lot of fall crop. Except potatoes and summer squash(that are gone) everything else is at their peak.
    {{gwi:108520}}
    THE ARCH

• girlgroupgirl
    14 years ago

"Since I did not get any suggestions" ... huh? I listed several sources for you to use as a guide, and also suggested you look at your seed packages and count backyards from days of harvest to find out when you plant stuff in according to first frost date. They were supposed to help you find your answer.

Hate to tell you, but this is WAY WAY early in Georgia for planting fall crops.

The stuff you are planting now like radish and cilantro (I have a heat tolerant cilantro which germinates well in warm weather but doesn't hold long, so I do grow all summer...) do not much like the temps we are having now and in August - I normally plant those in September but it depends exactly where in Georgia you are located as to when you'd plant them. Some get away with planting in late August. It is SUPER HOT for lettuces. Try planting those in a lot of shade, the coolest area you have going. Even then, I'd choose heat tolerant lettuces or tropical lettuces: Jericho, Queensland etc.

It's really helpful to fill out your zone and even list where (like your county) you are growing in, that way people can see where your climate falls on the vast array of climates in Georgia!
    GGG

• aunt-tootie
    14 years ago

I'm planting my first Fall garden here in SW GA this year. My summer garden was a DUD. I think I had every tomato disease known to man and every bug showed up for the all-you-can-eat-buffet in my garden. I tried to "go organic", but because I'm new at vegetable gardening, I didn't know what to use as an insecticide or fungicide, so I used nothing. (BIG mistake here in south GA!) In my defense, I had lots of bees and didn't want to do anything that would jeopardize them. Anyway, to get back to the question.......I'm starting broccoli seeds on 8/25 for planting in the garden around 9/19. I'll also direct sow on 9/19: lettuce, mustard, spinach, carrots and beets. I'm planting garden peas on 1/1 (Happy New Year!). Hope your Fall garden does well!

• danita
    14 years ago

Hi,

I had been looking for a good fall planting chart for Georgia to no avail so I googled for an Alabama planting chart, since we have similar weather, and found the link below. It's formatted nicely and gives both spring and fall dates for veggies. The dates are for middle Alabama so you would need to adjust per the instructions depending on where you live.

Hi GGG!
    What kind of heat tolerant Cilantro are you growing? I'm anxiously awaiting harvesting some cilantro but it's too hot to even plant it!

Danita

Here is a link that might be useful: Alabama Planting Chart PDF

• josieoh-05
    14 years ago

I am in Northeast corner of Ga. I talked to a few local farmers here and they said Aug. 15 is about the last day to plant, unless you're planting something that wont mind a little frost.

• girlgroupgirl
    14 years ago

josieoh-05, I don't know where cyrus_gardner gardens. Don't forget, Georgia encompases zones 7-9 so first frost date can vary dramatically. Danita, the cilantro I am growing came from Italy. It's one of the Italian packages from Franchi.

• opal52
    14 years ago

Danita, I found a site with a copy of Home Vegetable Gardening guide for Georgia. It's very similar in format to the one you found for Alabama. This leaflet was available from the University of Georgia College of Agricultural Science (http://www.caes.uga.edu/publications/) site at one time, but for some reason is no longer available there. I downloaded a pdf copy of it from the UGA site years ago and refer to it often.

Here is a link that might be useful: Home Vegetable Gardening - Georgia

• rjinga
    14 years ago

opal, that is a good link, I book marked it! I have volunteer turnip greens from plants that went to seed early (or late depending on how you look at it). anyway they are in a raised bed with a giant pumpkin and they did not get the memo that it would be too hot for them. So I'll eat them anyway!!

I have never had good luck with cilantro, it never seems to start from seed for me. I (accidentally) found one growing on the side of my greenhouse, and I did not plant it there, it could have been a seedling that got left behind? anyway, I didnt even see it til it too was going to seed, so maybe it will reseed there and grow again.

I also started recently some climbing okra, a neighbor gave me some, and so far they are all sprouted..I have no idea what to expect, but it will be fun to see them. He said his climbed his 6 foot fence last year!

• girlgroupgirl
    14 years ago

Climbing Okra???

We've had many plants at Holy C. do well in hot weather after saving seed for a few years, or letting them reseed. That is the beauty about seed saving from your own garden if you start with open pollinated seeds.

• cyrus_gardner
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks everyone.
    GGG, I meant and was looking for date/time for fall planting, not the veggies in particular.
    For your info, I am gardening in Duluth, Alpharetta area.

I took chances on the things I planted because the beds had been vacated by potatoes and summer squash. So no harm will be done , I can plant them again and again.
    I have Also rooted some tomato cuttings. They are in pots right now. I will plant them where and when some of my tomato plants retire. I will also start from seeds (my own) some cucumbers.
    I will hold on turnips, big radishes, broccolies. I do not have space for them right now anyway. Today I put in the ground some potatoes for fall. I am sure they will be fine. by the time they get big enough night temps should fall. That is what potatoes like.

About planting cilantros from seeds:
    I buy coriander(cilantro seeds) from mexican stores and plant them. They are very easy to grow. But right now I have collected my own seeds.
    Happy gardening!

• susancol
    14 years ago

I find that the Georgia information tends to list the dates for middle Georgia, which is understandable, I guess. But therefore, I find that for us in the Atlanta area, the Clemson extension list is more useful. I follow the Piedmont area section as they have weather closer to us in Atlanta than middle Georgia does.

So far I have direct sowed my rutabegas and a few turnips (may be a little too early for turnips) And if I were going to grow any brassicas, I would have indoor sowed them at the first of July. Otherwise, with most stuff I'll wait until Mid August. Leafy stuff will wilt or bolt in the high heat we'll likely get before summer's end.

Best of luck!
    Susan

Here is a link that might be useful: Clemson Planting Dates

• georgia_transplant
    14 years ago

GGG and others -

Do you direct-sow your seeds fall crops (I'm most interested in the cole crops and lettuce) or do you grow them in pots and transplant the seedlings? Have you had better luck either way?

Thanks!

• susancol
    14 years ago

Direct seed lettuce, peas and root crops, transplant brassicas (cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, brussels, etc.).

• cyrus_gardner
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Are You ready for fall crop now?
    I started this thread around mid July, a bit too early but now is a good time, I believe, to get it in full swing.
    I have some chards, chinese cabbage, kohlrabi in flats, kept in partial sun(getting a bit leggy). My garlics, mustard greens and aurugula are up and going. I will plant some more. I just sowed some onions, chives, fenugreek, lettuce, cilantro and parsley. Today I am going to transplant the chinese cabbage, chards and kohlrabies in the garden. I will also sow chinese radishes (big ones) soon.

My tomatoes are still going well but cukes are gone. I have few new cukes and tomatoes(from cuttings) for late summer/fall. Last year my late summer cukes produced till first frost. So did the tomatoes. Chines radishes lasted all winter and I had garlic greens all winter as well. But broccolies performance was dismal and gave up on them.

Our 15 day weather forcast indicates that day highs are going down to low 80s and high 70s in a week or so, Alreadt the day highs have dropped fro high 90s to high 80s (a 10 deg. drop.

So what are you planting or planning to plant?

Cyrus

• susancol
    14 years ago

I have already sowed some turnips, beets, daikon, and lettuce. Will sow some spinach, more lettuce, radishes, and maybe chard and carrots. Laying off of the brassicas this year. Last year I overwintered cabbage, collards, broccoli, and pak choy. This year I promised the family no overwintered crops. Moving the row covers on and off was a bit of a hassle. And when I grew them this spring they all ended up infested with some bug or other. So I decided that Fall is the way to go for brassicas in GA, but am still taking this year off.

I might try a row or two of peas. Farmerdilla says he plants his in the later fall and without row covers, overwinters them until spring. Worth a couple of seeds to experiment.

Susan

• adykt
    14 years ago

Here's a link with a really good planting chart from Farmer D Organics. Very knowledgeable person - sign up for his seminars.

Here is a link that might be useful: Recommended Planting Dates - Farmer D Organics

• organicnew2gardening
    13 years ago

Hello all!! I am embarking on planting my first garden. I would like to start off with some carrots and spinach.

Where is the best place to get my seeds?
    When should I plant them?
    (Cyrus-looks like you are I are in the same area so your suggestions would be very helpful, I live in Roswell)
    Anyone recommend a great book for beginner gardeners?

My husband and I built a raised bed garden last weekend and are excited to put something in it. Again, this is my first time so if I ask tons of questions, my apologies in advance. Let me know if I need to supply any more info.

I am so EXCITED!!!!

• xcel
    13 years ago

I started my Fall garden the first week of September from seed (Carrots, Broccolli, Collards) I even planted some cucumbers.. hey..lol. My summer watermelons are still growing. I'll max that out until it can't grow anymore. My Bell peppers are still growing. I plan on wrapping those & hopefully they will survive the winter. I also have some lettuce that is still growing in a plastic tub.

• mackga
    13 years ago

Ga - Fall Crop

I planted 27 collards, 27 broccoli and 18 cabbages transplants on 8/26/2010. Started cutting the collards in September and the broccoli heads in November. This has been the best fall garden i've had in two years. The cabbage heads are real full and tight, We might cut one for Thanksgiving. Go to my website and check out the 2010 Garden Season.

-MackGa

Here is a link that might be useful: BarryZone - Gardens

• girlgroupgirl
    13 years ago

I've not planted a fall garden as early as you have before, mackga. I'd like to, but I haven't had enough room between the summer and fall garden yet. This year however the crop was very very slow early on for me. I did plant one bed from seed in September and it's time..everything has. But now it's looking very good (lettuces did not however, have good germination). I planted 120 collards this year! I planted almost my entire front yard thick with them! Interplanted red leaf mustards and fancy kales with some cool weather flowers. The broccoli is by FAR the best I've seen (no food yet, but it looks might close to it). Roots have been phenomenal. Fall even brought a HUGE bumper crop of tomatoes and we are having tomato salad for Thanksgiving along with everything else from the garden. It will be so good!

• mmaddox
    9 years ago

I own an organic farm called Green Bridge Farm. I'm always testing and challenging planting dates. I've discovered ways to grow arugula year round. I found out some mustards can be planted in the summer. For fall planting I check how long a plant needs to mature and measure that against the first frost date. For frost tolerant plants, I succession crop all winter. In south Ga. That's possible.

Here is a link that might be useful: Green Bridge Farm

• zzackey
    9 years ago

I go by EDIS-- University of Florida because we are only 8 miles above the state line. Checkout EDIS- University of Georgia for advice. I was going to plant my seeds this week, but it keeps on raining.

• yolos - 8a Ga. Brooks
    9 years ago

I am 25 miles south of the Atlanta Airport. I got a late start due to the heat wave we had in late August early Sept. I transplanted my broccoli 9/6 (premium crop), planted sugar snap peas and garden shell peas on 9/13, and lettuce on 9/28. I think the broccoli will make heads before a hard freeze. I doubt the peas will make it unless I cover them. The lettuce should make it if I start cutting leaves or cover.

Sponsored
Columbus Foremost Siding & Exterior Design Solutions