Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Soil for Large Planter Box

Posted by botanicat z7 NW GA (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 30, 12 at 6:24

At my mom's nursing home, large elevated planter boxes probably 5 or 6 feet long, 1 foot wide, and 2 feet deep have been installed for the residents to plant veggies in. What soil would be best for this, a garden soil or potting soil? And is there a brand to look for that is better? I'm assuming with a box this large you wouldn't be changing the soil out every year. Any suggestions for this would be appreciated. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Soil for Large Planter Box

botanicat:
I have to say, that is a very very narrow space for planting many summer vegetables!
For the most part, you will not have to change out soil however, it would be great if they would start composting on site to use for "bolstering" the soil as repeated use of same soil for certain crops year after year isn't recommended (tomatoes eg).
You should use a garden soil, and if you can get a pickup truck to get it, Luxury Landscapes in Lawrenceville has good quality garden soil, and I think a pickup truck load will do you well.

o

botanicat, suggest you also pose this question on the Soils forum. Lots of experience there. It should be well worth you time.

Trellising is probably in order here also.

HTH, Rosie

o

Thanks for the replies. After looking again at the boxes, I would say they are wider than 12", maybe 16-18." That should help some. And they have added bagged garden soil. So now we just have to find some fall growing veggies to plant.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here