Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lzygrdner

Edible landscaping/figs

lzygrdner
15 years ago

All this talk about edibles...An enormous fig tree came with my house, I eat them fresh when they are on the tree, but don't know much else to do with them, or how to preserve them. What does everyone else do with their extra figs?

In my woodland I have paw paw trees, sunflower, mango and 1 generic seedling. How long before these produce? they are newly planted and only about 3 ft tall.

I've also got a few blueberrys ripening, persimmons, and too many cucumbers and hot peppers!

I am again trying watermelons and cantalopes, but have trouble with something eating it's way in before they ripen (like a bug or worm - not an animal). How do I prevent this? This year I mulched heavily with straw to keep them off of the soil - obviously not the complete solution. Any advice on my melons would be really appreciated!

thanks! Harriet

Comments (6)

• shot
    15 years ago

Hi Harriet,
    Not offering advice, just wanted to comment on your post. Sounds like a really great place you have there. My wife loves figs right off the tree and my sister has a large one in her yard, so for Valentines Day I got her a fig tree (Brown Turkey). Aren't I romantic??? lol

There are lots of fig preserve recipes on the internet.

Shot

• susancol
    15 years ago

There is a lot of information about what to do with your bounty on the Harvest forum. Here is a link to a Figs search on that forum. They are great and have tons of ideas on preserving. Enjoy! Your setup sounds great! :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Figs on Harvest

• lzygrdner
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you for the link, I'm just a few weeks away from figs - I'm gonna go and save the recipe's that work for me. Does anyone have a dehydrator? I'm thinking of getting one...

Harriet

• shot
    15 years ago

Harriet, we have a dehydrator that we use to make beef jerky. I think my wife has done some fruit on it, but it has been a while.

Enjoy your figs!

Shot

• girlgroupgirl
    15 years ago

FIGS, we are just a few weeks away from a bumper crop of figs at church, a week away from apples, getting blackberries and blueberries...and I know Steph. planted her famous watermelons! She grows 'em great.

I could eat every fig off the tree and make myself sick. I have one tree at home started from a woman on GW who sent it to me years ago. I want MORE! And I plan to get me a dehydrator too, but I want to set it up to make it solar powered. I'd love to just use screens, but here in the South with this humidity it's just about impossible.

Do you think your mango tree would survive and fruit for you Harriet? When we moved here we had a fruiting lemon tree that the lady planted from a seed. I moved it, and it did eventually die.

GGG

• lzygrdner
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I am growing mango paw paw, I don't think I could cheat the zones enough to try mango. But we are experimenting with satsuma orange and kumquat.

I do believe figs are the most fool proof edible ever, Mine receives no care whatsoever and gives enough figs for our family and plus all the neighborhood birds and squirrels.

Harriet

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!