Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bmmalone

pea, beans, pumpkins

bmmalone
14 years ago

My flowers and shrubs look great..........my peas and beans grew to about 12-18" and then died off. There were a few beans, but no peas. My pumpkins have so many flowers on them, but they die off and no pumpkins. Also a couple of them have branched off and the branch is now dying. Tomatoes and peppers are doing ok, not wonderful, but ok. So, what am I doing wrong? Has anyone else had problems this year?

Comments (4)

• girlgroupgirl
    14 years ago

Peas are well done by now, they prefer cooler weather - so I would ask when you planted them.
    Beans have also struggled in the heat a bit. One of my clients did very poorly, mine are OK but really not producing that much. These were Kentucky's. So the other day I planted my yardlongs and also some native Arizona beans - beans that can take heat (I'm not sure about humidity). Many people are also reporting squash issues - probably due to high heat as well - I can't think of any other reason we all might be having issues. Some folks say zuccini are doing well, but yellow squash are fairing poorly in 4 gardens I've visited as in mine.
    My winter squash are rockin!

• el_vato30066
    14 years ago

Hello,
    I have tomatoes, squash (yellow, butternut, and zucchini), Lima beans, field and sugar snap peas, carrot, and others (herbs, garlic, and such). This year something is off as I have had slow growing plants. The tomatoes are just OK, plants are about half the size I would expect them to be, though I have 2 new slightly different varieties. Even the volunteers are very slow growing and are very scraggly, but they are producing a little. The peppers I grew from seed are about 4" tall, the ones I started in containers have FINALLY taken off after 3 months. They even have some peppers on them!

The Lima beans are doing great this year & all the peas did well too, the sugar snaps were about the same as you 12-18 inches, they produced then died off. then a few came back after I remove the pods. the field peas you cannot kill. Something may be wrong with my soil (though brand new soil (miracle grow potting mix) in the containers are having similar results on my porch). Every thing just seems to be growing very slowly this year. In a way I am glad the tomatoes are staggered a bit then the hopefully the harvest will not all be at once like last year. But I really wanted the stupid peppers! I even planted extra (like about 50 seeds)almost none of them came up! It wasn't til the third batch of seeds went into the ground that they would sprout. I knew then that this was not going to be a good year.

We will have to just be extra patient!

• satellitehead
    14 years ago

i had a gaggle of wild pumpkins come up in our compost bin, and transferred them over to the community garden in our neighborhood so the kids would have pumpkins at halloween time. they've been flowering for weeks now, but no pumpkins as of about 14 days ago when i had to head to germany for work. i need to go check em out again and see if anything is coming through.

i don't do peas, but my beans - which were labelled as a haricot-vert style bean, but the husks are a little more leathery - are actually doing quite well. they were slow to start but are putting out about 3-4 dozen beans or more every 6-7 days.

my tomatoes....i got a slow start this year (seeding issues on my part). i had two come up wild, and planted 7 varieties of heirlooms. out of all 9 of my tomatoes, i'm seeing good growth out of everything but my Reisentraub, but only 2 of them are fruiting (most of them are flowering really well, just not all are fruting)

• cyrus_gardner
    14 years ago

My peas , snow and snap, did well. I have planted some yardlong beans but so far no flowers yet. The vines are doing fine and keep climbing but no beans. Having no prior experience about growing beans(other than pole beans) I don't know what to expect. But my hyacinth pole beans have been flowering and have lots of beens. I grow them just for beauty.I like their purple flowers and purple been. Much more prettier that any pole beans I have seen.

So what is the scoop with yardlong beans? Anybody??

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!