Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Nominees please

Posted by sandandsun 8a (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 31, 09 at 8:50

Please nominate a perennial that blooms all season or most of it. Please make this from personal experience which would include observation of friends/neighbors/area plants.
Excluded from consideration:
All trees
All shrubs
All roses
All tropicals unless rated hardy to Zone 7
All salvias (sages)
All cupheas (those roly-poly little bat faced girls)
All echinaceas (coneflowers)
All monardas (bee balms)
All hemerocallis (daylilies)

I can't wait to see the nominees!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Nominees please

• Posted by mk87 7b/8a (My Page) on
    Fri, Jul 31, 09 at 12:03

Scabiosa (I like "Butterfly Blue, personally) is one of my favorites. If you deadhead it pretty regularly, it will just bloom and bloom and bloom...and, oh by the way...BLOOM. If you DON'T deadhead it...it's still going to bloom, just not as much. In fact, it has even bloomed a little bit during the WINTER where I live!

o

You aren't excluding Cannas? They start early and finish late. Dianthus (Fire Witch) seem to bloom for an extended period then recede a bit and bloom again. Hybiscus syriacus, Rose of Sharon bloom continuously during the season but, are deciduous. Ice Plant blooms all season long. I like these giant Black Eyed Susan looking things. I have heard they were Rudbeckia but, the basal leaves are large even for R. hirta and the flower production is non-stop so, I am unsure as to actual species. I first purchased these at Home Depot for a job, just to fill in a small empty space. They were listed as an annual for $4.75. After the first year they reproduced several more plants from seeds and, the originals returned as well so, I brought a couple home. They have been blooming steadily since early June. The flowers are about five inches across and the plants get about two feet tall.

o

Goldsturm Rudbeckia looks really good, just about all season long. In my case, after about 2 years, my local deer herd decided to eat it to the ground. Repeatedly.

o

Ditto on the Goldsturm Rudbeckia. Also, my phlox carolina is still flowering (since May). So is lonicera sempervirens, though its really only showy in spring. A rare thing in natives, which is what I tend to have, other than roses and veggies.

o

There is a thread on the Cottage Garden forum with some good suggestions too...

Here is a link that might be useful: CG thread

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here