Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
blazepepper

suggestions for mid summer potted flowers...

blazepepper
15 years ago

I have 3 pots that I keep 2 of on both sides of the front door and another in front of the garage. All 3 had different colored impatiens that did quite well this year, as usual. Last nights storm destroyed them, so I'm looking to replace them. Being that we are in the middle of a sweltering summer, I'm looking for some suggestions on what to replace them with. 2 of the pots are underneath a front porch and the other is not covered and recieves full sun for most of the day. Any ideas? Looking for something that would be readily available, possibly at home depot or lowes, etc. thanks/

Comments (3)

• girlgroupgirl
    15 years ago

Our Lowes had a fair selection available. They had TONS of vinca, a great mid-summer potted plant. They also had plenty of begonias with a variety of colorful leaves.

GGG

• jeff_al
    15 years ago

coleus - they can handle sun or shade if you need to "coordinate" the containers. i planted a flat of the chartreuse colored ones and those that are in full sun turned as yellow as any marigold flower i have seen.
    i always thought of them as a plant that did not perform well in full sun but they plant them at the shopping centers and mall here in auburn in all-day sun and they are really big and colorful (obviously, they have an irrigation system for the beds).
    it's probably late enough in the season that you won't have to bother with pinching the blooms out.

• User
    15 years ago

For the planter with full sun:

Madagascar Periwinkle (as suggest above--come in lavender, pink and white)
    Gerbera daisy
    Gazania (African daisy)
    Portulaca
    Ice plant (flowering succulent)
    Dusty miller (as contrast plant)
    Marigolds
    Plumbago (pale blue flowers)
    Tropical Hibiscus (depending on size of planter)
    Orleander (again, depending on size of the pot--but can bloom relatively small)
    Bougainvillea
    Mandevilla vine
    Dipladenia(similar to Mandevilla vine but easier to overwinter indoors)
    Miniature roses?? (great in containers but not lovers of continuously high, midsummer heat)

For the pot that's shaded:

Caladium (grown for colorful foliage--not flowers)
    New Guinea impatients
    rex begonia (foliage)
    alocasia (colorful foliage)

Sorry, I am beginning to draw a blank for heat and shade tolerant flowering plants. As you notice, must of the ones for the shaded planter are actual foliage (not grown primarily for their flowers). Most of the ones I can come up
    with are really tropicals and will need attention to watering (Spathyphyllum for example).

The real problem is what you can still find salvageable in HD or Lowe's at this time of year. Most of the annuals are
    gone. I do recall seeing a sea of caladiums on a recent visit to HD. (Yes, HD's are the same all over the world!)

Sponsored