Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ilikemud_2007

off topic - Georgia barreir islands

ilikemud_2007
15 years ago

I am guessing that many of you who enjoy digging in the dirt might enjoy Georgia's natural spaces too.

I'm thinking about the Ga. coastal islands for a family reunion next summer. The age range is 8yrs to 85yrs (all active). I think that it would be nice to be close enough to Savannah for an afternoon trip too.

We'd like to rent a large house not be in a hotel.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Comments (9)

• Iris GW
    15 years ago

I have not been to the barrier islands, but I would like to mention that Savannah can be quite hot. We visited there last summer around the 2nd week in July and I could not believe how brutal it was. I'm sure the islands would be cooler, I just wanted to mention it in case you decide to pop into Savannah.

• ilikemud_2007
    Original Author
    15 years ago

It's funny one year we went to Portland OR. It so happened to be the week they had record heat! It was in the 100s!

• GAAlan
    15 years ago

I love Saint Simons and Jekyll. Jekyll is the calm, quiet place while Simons has more restaurants, hotels, stores and related amenities. Taken together they have something for everybody.

• kingturtle
    15 years ago

Ilikemud, for years we had our family reunions on Amelia Island which is actually in Florida but just over the line. We liked Amelia because it is not just a resort but also a place where regular people live. There's a high school, and if you're there in the summer, you'll see the marching band practicing for the fall football season. There's a little downtown with shops, a warf with fishing boats, a nice old bar, bike trails, the beach is nice and its not too far from Jacksonville. But the other nice thing is it is a close drive to the dock to catch the ferry for a day trip to Cumberland Island - a national seashore. We found the day trip was just enough of a wild seashore for the less outdoorsy folks. I haven't been in years so I don't now if it has changed.

• razorback33
    15 years ago

If you want a home or condo rental at St. Simons or Jekyll Is., it would probably be best to contact a Real Estate agent in that area. There are a number of rental properties on St Simons, but unsure about Jekyll(a state owned island, where development is limited). Some owners and realtors often advertise rentals in the AJC.
    Both have very good and well maintained beaches. A parking fee is necessary to enter Jekyll Is., so the larger beach there is usually less crowded. Jekyll is also home to the GA Sea Turtle Center and Historic homes of Millionaires, who owned the Island during the early 20th Century. Guided tours are available.
    The Cumberland Is. National Seashore is about 30 minutes south and is accessible only by ferry from St. Marys, GA.
    Visitors are limited to 300 daily, so if your plans include a visit, you may want to call ahead for availibility and reservations.
    The Okefenokee National Wildlife Refuge is also nearby and tours are also available.

Cumberland I. National Seashore

Okefenokee National Wildlife Refuge

Jekyll Island

GA Sea Turtle Center

All are great places to visit and enjoy wildlife and unspoiled areas.
    Rb

• ilikemud_2007
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for your input everyone.

I realize now that we might want to be in a B & B because our reunions are not for a entire week. I will check the web for B&Bs in the area.

• cas40
    15 years ago

I live in Camden County which is the Kingsland/St. Marys area. There are several B&Bs in St. Marys. Cumberland is a great day trip. Because it is tourist season you should check on availability. We are an hour and a half south of Savannah, just down I 95. Check in Savannah and on Tybee for accomadations as well. Enjoy your visit to our area.

• perryrip
    15 years ago

Ilikemud,

This is late, but something you may want to consider for the future is renting the large plantation mansion on Sapelo Island. You take the ferry over and it's a beautiful experience.

perrrip

• nwgatreasures
    15 years ago

Have you checked out Dafuskie Island? It's a bit more primitive but development is taking place.

I grew up in Savannah and the city in the summer can be brutal but the islands are cooler. Savannah has First Saturday festivals on the river and other things going on.

There are some very nice B&Bs within 90 miles of Savannah and I agree with contacting the rental agency or real estate agents for options. That's the kind of stuff that keeps them in business now.

Dora

Sponsored
Virginia Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars151 Reviews
Virginia's Award Winning One Stop Kitchen & Bath Remodeling Resource