Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mk87_gw

2 Questions for Esh

mk87
14 years ago

esh --

1) I may be mistaken, but it seems to me that I've read somewhere that purple beautyberry is a GA native. Is that correct? If so, where-oh-where can I purchase them? I have never seen them in any garden center (Mom n' Pop or otherwise) in my area. I am thinking very seriously about planting a hedge-ish area of them along one side of my driveway, that borders another yard. It's woodsy there, and I need something that will grow up and screen fairly well. And, I was thinking that the concrete would keep it from being too invasive.

2) Wondering if you know what causes black spots on red maple trees. I have a lot of them on our Autumn Blaze variety (more on the top than on under-branches) and eventually, it makes the leaves turn brown and curl up. ???

Thanks...hope you are doing well!

Comments (4)

• Iris GW
    14 years ago

There is a native beauty berry - Callicarpa americana. When you are looking to buy it, make sure you check the name as there are some asian ones too. I have lots of seedlings - I could give you some of those. They grow pretty fast. I can also send you seeds in the fall via mail. Let me know if you can't find them.

Nearly Native Nursery in Fayetteville has them - but they are closed for vacation until August 18th (you'll want to plant in the fall anyway). Fayetteville is a bit closer to you than I am.

The black spot would be some type of fungus. Look at this link on tar spot and see what you think. You could also call your local extension service - they often are up to speed on local issues (for example, problems caused by too much local rain, specific insects, etc.).

Thanks to recent rains, I am happy again; it sure was dry for a while there! Almost "drought" dry.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tar spot

• mk87
    Original Author
    14 years ago

esh -- Thanks for the info. Duh...should've thought of Nearly Native...it's not that far of a drive. I do see it on their site. I'll give them a call after the 18th. Another question: would you say that most of the many seedlings are near the parent plant and it's just the plant doing its thing, or are they EVERYWHERE and it's more likely being distributed by birds eating the berries?

Thanks for the link...I'll check it out. I love the tree, so hopefully it's something we can get under control.

This HAS been the weirdest summer! Blazing-ridiculous heat in late May/June (apparently, it ruined our chances in this area for some of the speckled butterbean varieties...that's annoying)...but tons of rain. Then, suddenly, no rain at all and almost early-fall temps!

• Iris GW
    14 years ago

Seedlings are mostly near the parent and are certainly easily pulled out. I occasionally find them elsewhere thanks to the birds.

• mk87
    Original Author
    14 years ago

OK, that doesn't sound too bad. I think I can handle that much effort. Thanks for the info!

Sponsored