Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alpharetta_gw

Where to get a backyard cat

alpharetta
14 years ago

the squirells ate all of my peaches and plums. They are now cleaning my asian pears. I saw at least 3 of them running around and making fun with each other. They don't even care when I approach to the fruit trees. They look at me like I am a stranger and the trees belong to them...

I want to get a backyard cat (or Tommy Cat) to protect my backyard from squirrel. Where I should start looking for my cat?

A good cat (for this purpose) and free cat is preffered option.

Thanks

Alpharetta

Comments (18)

• Iris GW
    14 years ago

The animal shelter is a great place - they have animals that will be euthanized if they are not adopted.

• gmom74
    14 years ago

Our cat never bothers the squirrels- I think they are too big for her. But chipmunks, now, are another matter. She really keeps the population down.

• jeff_al
    14 years ago

same with my cat. she won't offer to chase a squirrel (i wish she would) but keeps my garden clean of chipmunks. i would suggest a dog instead, from the humane society. my dog loves to try to catch them but never has for there are just too many trees to escape to. i have heard that jack russels make good varmint dogs.
    you could also use a humane trap (such as the hav-a-hart brand) to catch and release elsewhere. they can be found at most feed and seed supply stores. about $25 will buy a squirrel-sized one, probably less than you would spend to adopt an animal from the shelter if you can't have a dog in an unfenced yard. pecans, peanuts, shelled corn, sunflower seeds, etc. are good bait in those.

• rosiew
    14 years ago

Hi Phe,

I second the suggestion of using a Hav-a-Heart trap. I trapped a zillion squirrels using one when I lived in Roswell. Just take the trap - with squirrel - a long way from home and release it. Then keep rebaiting it and do it again and again. Really shouldn't take long.

IF you really want a cat, feel it should be an indoor-outdoor pet. The children would certainly enjoy it. Alone outdoors would be sad. Cats love companionship and deserve it.

Your friend Rosemary

• vicki7
    14 years ago

We have a zillion squirrels in our back yard who are constantly gobbling up all the bird's food. We don't have a cat, but our neighbors have one who stays in our back yard all the time stalking the birds. The cat and the squirrels just ignore each other. So I would not get a cat with the idea that it would help with the squirrel population. I second the idea of the hav-a-heart trap. We've trapped several raccoons in ours, they work great. Just my 2 cents...
    Vicki

• marietta68
    14 years ago

Would one of you please tell me how you successfully baited the Hav-a-heart trap? I've put all sorts of goodies in there but the squirrels figured out how to move gently and swipe everything. I gave up after they removed peanut butter that was smeared directly on the trip panel. Victor rat traps are next if I can figure out how to keep the birds away. I appreciate any helpful advice, thanks!

• bagsmom
    14 years ago

I am near the square in Marietta - where are you? Maybe we have the same family of squirrels. You should search for the thread entitled Satan's Squirrels. I got some funny comments and great advice. Sadly, the squirrels are still eating all the tomatoes. We have tried everything. Our neighbor's cat, who is the Grim Reaper for all little rodents, ignores the squirrels. A squirrel was climbing on my window screen the other day. I was banging on the window right at it, and the squirrel wasn't phased. Neighbor cat was laying not 6 feet away, watching the show and eating a chipmunk. Ugh. It may be time for a b.b. gun.

• girlgroupgirl
    14 years ago

Don't forget that if you live within the City of Atlanta limits, it is illegal for you to trap to relocate squirrels unless you have a license for pest control (be a professional). Squirrels are protected.
    Don't ask me why, but they are (frustrating as that can be).

Boo Boo was my only outdoor baby until she got sick and has had to remain indoors. We had no squirrel troubles once Boo came. She did like to chase them, but I also taught her that squirrels, chipmunks, rats and possum would steal from our garden (Boo LOVES home made tomato sauce on pasta, so she knows to keep those squirrels away from Tomatoes!!) - didn't take long for her to chase off the culprits. No Boo is inside I've started to have squirrel troubles for the very first time.

You can also consider creatively netting certain backyard crops. I plan to plant blueberries where we can put arbors so that we can use the arbors to hold up then netting (for birds) - Peach trees and plum trees are harder if they are large - but if you prune them carefully while young and keep them very small, they can also be netted fairly easily.

Since you aren't in the city you can probably trap. But those within City limits should beware!

• jeff_al
    14 years ago

you have to put the bait at the end of the cage on the other side of the toggle plate. they will have to step on that plate and trip the door. did you get the right sized one? i.e. not so small that the body won't fit inside before coming into contact with the plate? or not so big that their weight will not trip the plate? mine is about 17" long and does a good job.
    pecans and corn are irresistible to them. a pecan or unshelled peanut works best for me - they can't pull it through the wire from the outside. they are also very good at figuring out obstacles.

• vroomp
    14 years ago

A Jack Russel Terrier will get squirrels better than any cat. But a pellet gun gets them all and is less messy. You may trap squirrels til the cows come home and you won't get half of them. Once they learn the sound of a pellet gun they seem to shy away from that yard. They sneak by stealthily or run full tilt to cross my property. If you don't wish to kill them, try a Daisy BB gun. One or two pumps will sting but, not injure more than a good bruise. Plastic birds of prey can discourage squirrels also when placed in strategic locations. I grow tomatoes, peppers, squash, figs, strawberries and blackberries and have yet to lose one to a squirrel.

Or you could hire one of these guys to protect your crops.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    14 years ago

My jack russells must not have gotten the message....never caught a squirrel ever.

• Prettypetals_GA_7-8
    14 years ago

OK gotta know!!! Is that squirrel real and if so how on earth did you get those clothes on it? Thats the cutest picture. Judy

• alpharetta
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I live in Alpharetta, GA. Can somebody tell me if I need a license to get a bb gun? and where I can find/buy the bb gun?

Thanks
    alpharetta

• vroomp
    14 years ago

The squirrel is real and the clothes are from a GI Joe doll. Unfortunately, he doesn't really shoot his little M16.

• doravilledawg
    14 years ago

BB and pellet guns do not require a license. You can purchase them at Bass Pro Shop, Dicks Sporting Goods, Sports Authority, and higher quality ones can be found at online shops like Pyramid Air.

• bagsmom
    14 years ago

OK - the squirrel is REAL, but is he ALIVE? Maybe I don't want you to answer that. :) He is very cute.

On the plastic birds of prey idea, I have to tell you that our squirrels are some weird little mutants. No lie, we had a huge redtail hawk on a branch in the backyard. I was excited, thinking that he would scare the rodents. Guess who came scampering down the tree trunk onto the very same branch. And played only 4 feet away from his natural enemy? Yes. Mr. Squirrel.

Weirder still, the hawk did nothing. He just looked at him like "dumb a$$." He must have been full.

• opal52
    14 years ago

Last year a person was arrested and charged with animal cruelty for shooting at squirrels with a pellet rifle inside the city limits of Conyers. Alpharetta may not have the same regulations, but thought I would mention it.

• lrvjim
    14 years ago

**Unfortunately, he doesn't really shoot his little M16.**

But can he use his little knife, you know, kinda' up close and personal?

Really cute picture.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!