Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ginger lilies

Posted by gmom74 z7 Ga (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 9, 07 at 9:30

I am going to have to move some Ginger lilies- do you think they will live? I know I could buy new ones but these are pass along plants from a friend and I would like to be able to save some of them. Am I the only person who is sentimental about certain plants that have come from friends or special places? Thanks for input.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ginger lilies

Can you wait to move them till fall? They may have a better chance then. And no, you're not the only one who's sentimental about plants! One of the things that makes gardening so much fun for me is sharing with friends and family.
good luck!
Pam

o

• Posted by efam z7b GA (My Page) on
    Tue, Jul 10, 07 at 12:50

Not at all...
Some of my favorite plants are from my husband's grandmother's yard. We just put our house up for sale and I am already planning on transplanting them to our new house!

o

• Posted by gaalan z8 Atlanta (My Page) on
    Tue, Jul 10, 07 at 22:25

Do you know what kind of ginger it is? If its not a Hedychium you may risk losing it moving so late in the year. Is it a now or never proposition with the plants in question? Of course with our warm winters it may not be an issue even with the less hardy genera!

o

Thank you all for your interest. I have no idea what kind of ginger lily it is- the friend just dug some up and gave them to me- I don't remember what time of year it was.

I have decided to leave a few as 'seed' so if I lose the others there will be some to transplant at a better time and they will spread.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here