Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aleighjc

Easy veggies

aleighjc
15 years ago

Anyone have suggestions on an "easy" to grow veggie that is not to late to plant? I just got some okra and figured I would ask here on what else would be easy.

Comments (7)

• elliosc
    15 years ago

It will soon be time to start planting cool season crops like broccoli, spinach, etc.

• girlgroupgirl
    15 years ago

You have plenty of time for okra! I'm getting in some southern peas and more beans. Easily done for both. I don't plant cool season crops until it gets a lot cooler - it's only mid-july. I plant my broccoli, spinach etc. in early Sept. - but it depends on where you live in Georgia. We have anything from a cooler zone 7 (in the mountains) to a zone 9 in this state. It really helps if you fill out the zone on your "member page" page for advice.

GGG

• elliosc
    15 years ago

I guess I should have asked if you bought seeds or plants? You could probably get okra even from seeds, but you probably won't get the most out of the plants. I'd still go for it, anyway. What do you have to lose?

I usually start cool season stuff in flats by early August, although I'm used to living farther north where you have more narrow window to get your harvest.

Beans might be good to plant now. Melons, cukes, etc, too.

• aleighjc
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I filled out my zone in my profile, hopefully that works now:)

I got plants, not brave enough to try seeds. I only got one okra plant because the others were looking pretty weak. I am going to another place to get a few more tommorow I think. I will look into peas/beans too. Is there a certain kind of bean you recommend? Is it just a green bean? Or are they called pole beans??

Such a newbie, sorry!!

• elliosc
    15 years ago

Peas are a cool season crop. So too soon for those.

I suppose you can grow whatever beans you want. I usually grow green beans and lima beans.

"Pole" refers to beans that will grow long vines and will climb a pole/trellis. Bush beans, on the other hand, will only grow maybe 24" tall. You'll need to plant quite a few of the latter since they don't produce as much as the pole variety.

• satellitehead
    15 years ago

any number of herbs are still OK to be planted, I would use pots and keep them in a shaded place.

You can still buy tomatoes from the store, with the heat, i would buy some regular old mulch (make sure it's just mulch, not mulch + weed blocker/herbicides).

Okra is another that was already mentioned.

Green beans are another you could do - you can probably find some 'bush' sytle (you have two basic kinds, "bush" and "vine")

Bell peppers should be fine also.

If I were you, I would take a traipse through your local Home Depot or something, ours here in town has a great selection they need to clear out....just waiting for a good home :)

• girlgroupgirl
    15 years ago

TRY SEEDS!
    You need to go ahead and start with some green beans, pole or bush. Try it. Don't be afraid to fail!
    We have all been learning to garden in this crazy climate by trial and error.
    Stores don't have a huge variety of veggies available right now as they are hard to keep over time in this heat. Our local Lowes had some: sweet and hot peppers, tomatoes and herbs mainly.

GGG

Sponsored