Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
buford_gw

OMG It's hot

buford
13 years ago

and it's not even August yet. Luckily we've had rain, but all that means is that my yard has exploded but it's too hot to do anything about it. Except complain of course.

Comments (11)

• Iris GW
    13 years ago

It is awful! Hot in the morning, hot at night and unbearable during the day. All I can do is snatch up a few weeds and water the stuff that wilts. I have a big pile of chips to be spread, but no one at my house wants to take that on in this heat.

• girlgroupgirl
    13 years ago

I keep wondering what will happen if the weather remains like this in the next few years. How will one grow here? Too cold winter for tropicals but too hot for many things. My garden is not doing all that well. It needs rain again REALLY REALLY badly. The heat is keeping my tomatoes from maturing, the rain and heat keeps them growing but they aren't ripening very fast.
    I have so much basil, I've frozen bags and bags of pesto and have dried a huge freezer bags worth, it's the one thing that seems to be doing really well in the heat! So are the zinnias, as long as I keep 'em sprayed for powdery mildew!!

• buford
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I have so much oregano that my back yard smells like meatballs! I keep saying I should cut it back but it's too hot. I let it flower but I think it's done. The heat index was 111 today, YIKES. But my roses appear to be setting up for a new flush after being in a funk since mid-June.

• vicki7
    13 years ago

It's so hot that when I take my (spoiled) dogs outside they don't want to hang around the back yard like they usually do. They want to take care of business and get back in the house fast! Seems like we've had extremes of weather this past year. The cold just kept hanging on and now we have this heat. I guess we'll all feel better when it cools down about October...

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    13 years ago

Dh and I (me, only sort of, I have friends I don't want to leave) want to move to Waynesville, NC when he retires. Mostly it seems like a pipedream but their high today was 85. I could live with that!

• nwgatreasures
    13 years ago

Yep!
    Look at what was in our local paper yesterday.

That's 119 in case you can't see.

My poor plants......
    Dora

• bagsmom
    13 years ago

It is way too hot for me to be outside, but surprisingly, the garden is happy. I think we have been fortunate enough to be under many of these pop up thundershowers in the afternoons. I have watered twice.

It really is stupidly hot, but I think it is still better than those scary drought years. Those years freaked me out!!!!!!

• girlgroupgirl
    13 years ago

My garden is NOT HAPPY. It is FRYING! The drought did not frighten me because I spent time figuring out how to capture water when it did come. I can't control the heat. This is the most consecutive days in the 90's I remember down here.
    The weather predictions are so frustrating. I look at 10 days out and it says rain and 80's. Then ever day we get closer the rain percentage drops and the temperature soars. It is very hard to get my veggie garden to produce in this heat. We went to Byron on Sunday. Lots of veggie gardeners have plowed their gardens under and are waiting for fall. My FIL is still trying to hang on to his. It's a struggle his first year down there. The corn is looking really good though.

• juliebees2009
    13 years ago

hi yall i saw some of my neighbors here around my area and i thought i would drop by say hello.
    how did you all like that storm that came through its been so hot my yard dog is now a house dog hes about 15 and just to hot for the old guy to be out. heck you cant breath in this heat hey yall what happened to spring anyway? i sure will be glad when some cool weather comes through say around November lol you know last year it was close to Nov. when it got sweater time...mom died in may and I truly have not had much of a want to get out anyway i stay in take care mostly of my inside plants. one day i will tell you all what happened to me in so called Gwinnett is great and see what you all think... got a ticket and didnt leave the dang yard i had a flat tire and i cant drive,(due to a good ole boy hit me while walking) can you beleive the police can come in your yard and citation you.....more detail later after I see the Judge.

• graybird
    13 years ago

It was so hot yesterday when I saw a dog chasing a cat that they were both walking. LOL

• satellitehead
    13 years ago

my figs are looooving it!!

Sponsored
Frasure Home Improvements
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Franklin County's Highly Skilled General Contractor