Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aleighjc

Fruit Trees

aleighjc
15 years ago

I would love a fruit tree but it seems like we always move before they are mature. We plan to stay in this house for about five years (maybe more, but I doubt it) Is there a fruit tree I can plant that matures quickly? Is it possible to find a place that sells "larger" more mature trees maybe? Everything I have found has been pretty young which I think would take a couple of years before it produces fruit?

Comments (7)

• girlgroupgirl
    15 years ago

You do not want an "Extra Large" fruit tree. Fruit trees are not the easiest things to care for. They need attention, and will be healthier and grow better if you plant a smaller tree and allow it to grow and mature. We buy fruit trees for the nursery where I work, and our source won't even supply us with really large trees here in Atlanta because the failure rate of a larger tree is too great.
    Try a fig, or a nanking cherry. Both will fruit young and don't get very large. Figs will be your best bet. Disease and drought tolerant, easy as pie. Grows super fast!

GGG

• aleighjc
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thankyou so much for your help, I was just looking up the cherries and it says it needs two, are their "male" and "female" plants, or is it just that I need two, do you know?

• shot
    15 years ago

Aleighjc, I bought my wife a fig tree (Brown Turkey) for Valentines Day (arn't I romantic) at a local nursery. It was about 6 feet tall and I think cost about $20. It has figs on it already.

Shot

• aleighjc
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks, I am going to check out the plantstore for a fig too. I think that is a great gift, I hate things that collect clutter or stinky lotions. If my husband got me a plant I would be over the moon!

• eddie1
    15 years ago

GirlGroup Girl is right, this is one of the rare instances where "smaller is better." The reason is grafted trees are usually small to start with because they are commonly grafted on dwarf rootstock. The part that is grafted onto the rootstock is called the scion and it is generally a named variety - like 'red delicious' which I don't recommend because it is red but not delicious. Another thing is the scionwood comes from mature trees and carries hormones that tell it that it is a mature plant and doesn't have to grow through the juvenile stage therefore as soon as it heals from the graft it could bear the second year but I would pick off all fruit until the third year so it would be strong enough to bear fruit. I wouldn't even look for fruit trees at the big box stores, I would search the internet for specialty trees. The figs are a great idea and so are blueberries though not a tree. An unusual fruit-bearing shrub would be pineapple guava - perfectly hardy here. Other trees you might want to consider are plums, oriental pears, oriental persimmons, jujube, maybe a red-flesh apple, kiwi and satsuma orange. There are more nice fruit trees but you were interested in only those that would bear early. You may have been disappointed in the past to have to move off leaving fruit trees before they ever bear but look at the greater good you have done for the next family to discover what they have.

Here is a link that might be useful: my personal site - gardening & music

• aleighjc
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks so much, this forum has been so exciting to me since I discovered it. Amazing what information and help you can find. I looked at reviews for online vendors in that review forum, and could only find negative ones, have you had any luck buying online from a certain store? Thanks again for all of the help everyone. I am from Wisconsin so this area and gardening here is all very new! I do hope the trees I have planted in the past are doing well, two were pear trees, and two apple trees.

• satellitehead
    15 years ago

If you're interested in cherries, you'll need to stick with sour cherries, we apparently don't have enough "cold hours" to produce a significant amount of sweet cherries. Granted, "sour cherry" is somewhat of a misnomer. Sweet cherries are cloyingly sweet, while sour cherries span the gamut from outrageously sour to faintly sour/bittersweet.

Not all cherries require cross-pollination. Montmorency cherries self-pollinate, they are also widely known as the "pie cherry" because they're most widely used in cherry pies (or so the story goes). I've been trying to score a Montmorency tree for quite a while locally, and will be on the hunt again this fall.

Sponsored