Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
what is it?

Posted by blazepepper Auburn, GA 7b (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 10, 08 at 11:37

I noticed in my garden today what looks like some sort of small animal, well, terds, for lack of a better word. They are tiny, what I would think would be the size of a rabbit dropping, and if you look close, they are sectional, almost like a grenade looks on the outside. Its everywhere in my garden box, in which i grown tomatoes, peppers and cucumbers. But I havent noticed any fruit or vegetation being eaten. DO I have cause for concern, anyone know what this might be> my garden, raised bed box,, is about 6 x 5, and is inside of my backyar privacy fence. thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: what is it?

Sounds like rat/mouse droppings to me, suppose they could be chipmunks as well, I've never seen chipmunk poop, but rat poop is ovular, grenade-like, about half the size of a Tic-Tac candy for mice, possibly as big as a Tic-Tac for rats.

Squirrels have been getting up on our deck this year, they seem to poop in a swirl, piled up in a coil, which I find incredibly fascinating. I've never actually seen them do it, but they always appear on the railings the same day that digging in our pots occurs.

o

If it is mouse/rat terds, then my question is, why are they here? and what should I do to get rid of them? I've never seen anything like that here, are they nocternal?

o

Did some more research, confirmed it was green horned tomato worm terds. Then I looked on all my plants for them, but only found one. good news is that it had already been infested w/ the parasitc wasps so I let it be.
thanks/

o

this is one of those things you can be super proud about figuring out, but you can't tell any of your non-gardening friends, lest they're bound to think, "you were researching poop on the internet?"

:)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Georgia Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here